Springfield V-10 Ultra Compact .45 ??

Scott Evans

Staff Alumnus
Any information or experiences with this weapon?

I just received one as an early Christmas present from a good friend. Yes a very good friend in deed. Just put the first 21 rounds through it (230g JHB) and I found it to be an excellent performer. Slightly less then a 4” group at 20yards offhand. It fed well with no malfunctions however the point of impact was about 3” lower then point of aim. I know 21 rounds is no test but first impressions are of an excellent weapon.

Any experience in what ammo will do well or any other item to expect would be appreciated.

Hi, Scott. I've had one since they were introduced. It runs 100% on HydroShok or Silvertips, shot seriously low- about 4" at 25 yards, as I recall- my gunsmith shimmed the rear sight. This is my basic warm weather gun, and I guess you've already found out, the porting works very well. A very nice pistol.

Scott,

I don't have the V-10 but I have the unvented Ultra-Compact. Be sure to check the accuracy and point of impact from sandbags to make sure there is no shooter induced error. The short 1911's are very easy to "push" in anticipation of recoil - especially if you are used to a 5" gun - which usually cause hits low and slightly left (for righties).

Also, after a suitable break-in of about 200 rounds of hardball, try some Hydra-Shok Personal Defense and see if the point of impact shifts before you spend bucks on sights. If it always shoots low it means the front sight is too high and a simple "shave" by a gunsmith could cure your problems.

Mikey

Scott,
I just got one not long ago. I think it's great! Mine is the ported one. Shoots great. I didn't notice any low hits but I was using 230gr ball ammo. And I also don't have more than 100rnds through it. Seems alittle heavy to me but thats probably just me. Mine isn't stainless either. I ditto Mike on the ammo, try different ones.

------------------
Proud,dues paying,member of the "Vast Right Wing Conspiracy"

My wife carries an Ultra-Compact V-10 and loves it (I have a SA Champion myself). Nice light recoil on her gun, but mine's pretty low too, I don't even feel the recoil anymore, but she does after a long shooting day. As far as point-of-impact, I think you're pushing...our SA's shoot dead on, but when I started shooting 1911's, I had the same problem until I figured out to pretend like it wasn't going to go off, then my guns started shooting on target! Simply amazing (note cynicism). I have noticed that with the Ultra-Compact, you need to use your slide stop to release the slide when chambering hollow-points, at least in the beginning. It should do just fine. Also of note, SA's are built like Wilsons in that you must remove the empty mag before releasing the slide (to encourage the gentle release of the slide when there's no round in front of the feedramp)

------------------
"Those who cannot understand safe design nor fine trigger mechanics need not consider the 1911, for them, the Glock is a fine weapon, since it has neither!"---by Me.

Back