Springfield Ultra-Compact?

Grapeshot

I'd like to hear some owner experiences with this gun, since I have an opportunity to buy either a blued/alloy one or a or a stainless-steel/not alloy one.

Are these pistols reliable?

This gun is going to be a concealed-carry weapon. I'd also like to believe that the lightweight version doesn't flip up too badly for repeat shots - but I'm probably dreaming. So, is there a big difference in recoil between the two models? If so, I will probably just opt for the heavier gun, since I prefer shootability over carryability.

I have the steel version and with approx. 600 rounds
though it I have not experienced any failures. I use
mostly my 200swc reloads and accuracy is excellent.
Trigger pull is good nor do I find recoil bad, however
this is the heavy model I have.

I had one for a few years. I had very slight reliability problems at first with some ammo. I made some adjustments and it was completely reliable right up until I sold it. I even shot some IDPA matches with it and carried it almost daily for two years.

I noticed a few weeks back that it has changed hands and is for sale again.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=58881

I did most of the custom work myself and had the rest done by a reputable 'smith. I don't know the current owner and I don't have any stake in the sale - I simply know the gun is very nice and, at the price he's asking, it's a STEAL! If an Ultra-Compact is what you want, they don't come much better!

P.S. I wouldn't give a penny for the vented barrel model for defensive use. Just my opinion...

Mikey

Just got one of the matte black lightweights. Absolutely the best trigger I have ever felt on a 1911 out of the factory! Got the one with the Novak night sights. The barrel is fully ramped and there is a small "ramp" machined and polished right under the barrel ramp on the frame. I polished the ramp to a mirror (it didn't take much), and it has fed 230gr. Hydrashoks, Win. 185gr flat points, and CorBon 230+P and a mixture of 230fmj without a hitch. Recoil is snappy, not abusive, and certainly less than I expected. Accuracy has been top notch as well. Get one, I don't think you will be dissapointed in it.

Ghillie

My wife has the UC V-10. We both like it a lot. We have seeveral Springfield products, but the UC V-10 is definately one of the favorites. I'm not opposed to ports on a defensive gun, especially for a woman. I've fired hot loads close to my body and the "blast" is not NEARLY what people make it out to be. The gun is very reliable and surprisingly accurate!

Hey Mikey,

I'm the one selling the Ultra. It's been a fantastic piece, but I simply don't need it right now. I've not been shooting it (or anything else for that matter) much, and my wife and I have our first child on the way...

Anyway, if anyone's interested, let me know!

--Donovan

Back