Springfield (Stevens?) .22 rifle

Coronach

I have a rifle that has been in my family for some time. It is an old bolt-action, single shot .22 that is in remarkably good shape given that 1. it is supposedly rather old and 2. it was used by my father and grandfather...both of whom view(ed) firearms as mundane tools and treated them as such (you know, cleanings optional. Nights left in damp sheds were commonplace. etc.).

Recently the extractor broke. This is, as far as I know, the first original part on this rifle to fail, and I used this excuse/opportunity to disassemble the rifle and give it a thorough going over, and also to perhaps get a different stock...the current (original?) stock is sized for a child. (Relax, I'll keep the stock and put it back on when I have kids. Already thought that far ahead. :)).

The trouble is, where do I find replacement parts for this gun? Here is the info, as best I can discern it:

The barrel is stamped "SPRINGFIELD" and, a little more toward the breach:

TEVENS ARMS COMPANY
MODEL 52-A
U.S.A. CAL. .22 S.L. OR L.R.

Naturally I imagine 'tevens' is 'Stevens'...the gun was reblued and some of the lettering is getting a little faint.

Any idea how to get parts for this gun, and any info you might have on it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Gun Parts Corp. (www.gunpartscorp.com) has parts for many of the old Savage/Stevens/Springfield rifles. However, I can't find anything with that model number, so it could be too old. You might get their catalog (worth the price as a reference) and see if anything looks like your rifle. If the problem is only an extractor, one can probably be made by a gunsmith if you can't get the part.

Jim

Sir, is it possible that the 52 is 82. As Mr. Keenan stated, I can't find anything on 52-A Stevens-Springfield. I did find; Model 82 bolt-action single shot, takedown, cal. 22L.R. Long, Short. 22inch bbl. Open rear sight, gold bead front. Plain pistol grip stock with grooved forearm. Made 1935-1939. Having been reblued, it might be!

Negative

It is DEFINATELY a model 52-A. That part is clear. It blurs more as you get towards the other end of the stamping.

However, the rest of it sounds pretty much like my rifle. Go figure.

I have a friend who smiths for beer. Does fine work, too...I was hoping at least to be able to supply him with the parts, though.

Thanks! Its not every day you can stump THIS crowd! :D

Mike

Back