springfield/savage 1938 bolt action 22 cal. rifle

LEWIS CIPHER

Inactive
I recieved a springfield/savage 1938 bolt action 22 cal. rifle for my birhtday from my wife. One odd thing I noticed when i broke it down to clean it was I couldnt find a serial # on it. I was under the impression that all firearms were required to have a serial #. it is a model 15 and it has three patent #'s on it but no serial #. Is this normal for that year and model? I also heard the military used guns like this one for training purposes, is there any truth to that? ANYBODY HELP PLEASE!
Lewis Cipher.

Serial numbers on firearms were not required before 1968. Most manufacturers did not serialize their 22 cal firearms before that time. Cheap rifles in particular did not receive serial numbers. When the Winchester Model 52 was introduced, people thought it was a mark of quality that the rifles were serialized because it showed that extra time and quality were put into the manufacturing process.

The only Stevens/Savage Model 15 that I am aware of is a single shot bolt action in 22 Long rifle caliber. It is not designed to fire .22 Winchester Magnum Rim fire. Won't fit unless you use a hammer, and if you did that you wouldn't have to worry about caliber. The correct caliber should be marked on the barrel, 22 Long Rifle, 22Long, 22Short.

[ recieved a springfield/savage 1938 bolt action 22 cal. rifle. it is a model 15. can you fire magnum rounds through it ?]

FWIW, the .22 Mag was introduced in 1959 - a few years after your rifle was designed.

Most firearms are marked somewhere, usually on the barrel or receiver/frame, for the proper cartridges the manufacturer recommends using in it.

It's good advice.

Back