Springfield SAR-8

orsogato

Anybody have experience with these rifles? Pretty much a G3 clone I guess. I have been seeing some with some neat looking green furniture.

Springfield Armory introduced the SAR-8 as a lower price version to compete with the HK-91. Besides being slightly lower in price, the sight was modified so that it could be adjusted by hand.

While the SAR-8 is not an Oberndorf product, it is made on machinery provided by Oberndorf to the Greeks.

It's a good rifle and commands almost as much as the HK. I personally snubbed it at that time since In a world of compromise, some men don't (Old HK ad). Just kidding of course and I couldn't resist it. I didn't buy one at the time back then because I had the German HK and was completely happy with it.

Hold the phone.

4V50 Gary refers to the old SAR-8 that was a Greek (Hellenic Arms) made HK, built on liscenced HK equipment. By all accounts this is a quality rifle and a good buy at a reasonable price, though they've appreciated to near HK levels.

The newest SAR-8 is an aluminium receiver, made by Federal Arms, with Portugese surplus parts (made by FMP with a HK liscence). The new ones are of questionable quality from the reports at www.hk91.com . Specifics are items such as the pin-on gripframe not being modified correctly to fit the clip-on style receiver.

Bottom line: if it's a Greek SAR-8, buy it. If it's the new style aluminium receiver, buyer beware.

[This message has been edited by Destructo6 (edited March 20, 2000).]

orsogato, you can do a search of SAR8 in this forum and come up with a bunch of reading.
I have one of the Greek mfg. rifles and I have been pleased with it.
Hank

Back