Springfield or Kimber?

RHarris

I hope this isn't a worn out topic.

I'm looking for a deal on a new full size 1911 style pistol. I've heard all the wonderful things about what a great deal the Kimbers are. They're a little expensive, but I'd be willing to pay if it's worth it. I'm looking for the lower cost versions and don't need all the bells and whistles. I simply cannot find any good deals on anything used in what I'm looking for.

The new Springfield "loaded" models look like a great deal. I've found the blued and parkerized versions in the low $500's. The comparable Kimbers (Custom model) I've found are about $200 more. Are they worth the extra 200?

I also have a question on finishes. The Springfield is available in both parkerized and blued finishes. The Kimber is a blued finish but bead blasted (has the dull appearance and in my opinion looks worse than the Springfield's parkerized finish). Is there any good reason, other than asthetics, to not get a parkerized finish? Isn't it more durable and corrosion resistant?

I'd like to keep the costs low and looks aren't all that important, but at the prices these things are going at, I want to pleased with everthing?

The Kimbers may be finished a bit better than the Springfield's as in a tighter slide to frame fit and sharp edges removed. In my experience though, I've only noted the sharper edges which is only an issue (IMO) if ya want it for carry. I prefer the Springfield as I've had good luck with them and tend to stick with what works for me. Doesn't hurt that they are cheaper and as for carry purposes a $90 melt job is not too hard to swallow. I tend to buy the lower priced models and have a local smith tailor to my tastes. Sure, it may be a little more expensive than a Kimber in the long run, but I gets what I want and not any more than I want. YMMV

Rick

I agree completly with Bandit. The Kimbers will look nicer, however, there are other issues to consider. Kimber's warrantee is only a year long. If you have problems (as I did) you'll be watching that 1 year mark very carefully. They counldn't fix my gun in that timeframe, and I wound up switching to Springfield. Also, a search of TFL will show that Kimber's customer service laks a lot of service. It's more of a "It's not our fault...you're doing something wrong." position than anything.

On the other hand, Springfield has a lifetime warrantee, and they're serious about it. Sure, I've sent a few guns back, but they've always handled it perfectly, and they take the time to listen. (Kimber, being in Yonkers, suffers from a NY attitude, and if you're not from there, prepare to be affronted). Good luck on your choice.

I have had very good experiences with the Kimbers I have owned: no parts breakage and no jams through over 13,000 rounds total through five guns.

I have two springfields, loaded and compact, like both,
but I especially like springfields customer service to
me this is a very important issue as I have had some
major problems with other companies.

I like both pistols and fired both before making a purchase about 4 monts ago. Bought a Springfield full size loaded stainless and have since fired appx. 1000 rds. of all type ammo.No glitches, feed
failures or recycle problems with my out of the box Springfield and it fires straighter than I point it. For a large caliber handgun, I
feel that it has excellent target
re-acquisition

the new Springfield Loaded 1911-A1's all come with a locking device in the mainspring housing. i hate all types of locking devices like that on handguns (if i wanted to keep the gun locked up i'd put it in my safe!!!). the good part is you can take it out by replacing the whole mainspring housing (costs more then).

both are good guns but i like the Kimbers more, i'm going to buy one soon. kimbers can be found cheaper than the prices you've mentioned check out gunsamerica.com. you can find the full sized Custom Classic in the $500s.

Damn, all this talk about Kimbers is making me want to spend my tax return on one...luckily there is a show here this weekend. :D

Wow, I'm glad I bought my SA 1911-A1 last year! I like it, it's a real nice gun, especially when you consider I got a stainless gun for the price of the blued Kimber. Although, I think that Kimber has a match barrel, so you do get something for the $560 it was advertized for. From what people have said so far, if the warranty and customer service play a part in your decision the edge goes to SA.

I bought the Full size "Loaded" model for $529, I believe. Not bad for a Stainless gun. Although, there are some parts I will swap out, like the two piece barrel, and stuff that looks stainless, but upon closer inspection looks like spray painted grey. If those parts really are SS, then forgive me. I'm just used to my SS being shiny. The Bbl bushing, mag release, and hammer don't look SS.

Given the current environment, the SA is the best deal going and this is from a Kimber fan. Visit their new website. Many upgrades. The the big thing is that they have dehorned the pistols and that was my big complaint about them. Goes to show that they are listening to their customers and that is a good thing.

Springfields are my personal choice. But I cant say one is really better than the other. They are both very well made pistols and have good track records. Both have there share of complaints. Both are priced in the right bracket.

Its a matter of taste.

Kimber--every trip of the train.

I have had my Classic Stainless Kimber full size for a year now and have put about 5,000 rounds through it with nothing but fun!

Throated/polished/mag bevel/Wilson springs/Novak sights/Novak's reliability package/Shok-buff, Hogue wraparound clip and Wilson combat mags. My favorite gun and I love shooting it! You won't be sorry.

fgerardij

In my experience with these two brands I've noticed that the Kimber is generally much more accurate and feed-reliable with more different types of ammunition (naturally, something I would notice LOL).

If I were to spend my own money on a standard 1911 I'd buy a Kimber.

Back