springfield model 187

I've got a 187N with the Springfield 4X scope. It's one of the rifles that my Father left. It set in my safe for about 25 years, until this winter, when I decided to clean it up and shoot it. It's accurate, but the trigger isn't too hot. No way to improve the trigger either from the design, pass smoothing and lubricating. Also when mine is shoot, there's a funny little ping that comes from the design of the springs/action. Kind of like an AR15. Savage/ Springfield made a lot of the 87/187 series. Not sure that I'd buy another, but I'll keep this one.
SF187N02.jpg

Springfield/Savage Model 187S

Just bought this rifle from a pawn shop....took it home, cleaned it, fired 30 shots of CCI mini-mag 36 gr. through it without a misfire...have to wait for more .22 ammo to arrive somewhere before I can test it thoroughly....it seems to be a pretty good semi-auto rifle. Maybe I got the exception to the rule...I forgot to mention the ammo was more than 20 years old.

These rifles have a neat feature with the trigger. If you hold the trigger to the rear after firing, it will hold the bolt back until you release the trigger. Little bit quieter if shooting squirrels and small varmints.

I've got a 60's era 87A that's been a reliable barn gun for years. Also
have a 1957 vintage 85 (clip fed version of the model) that my uncle gave
me in 1958 when I was 7 years old. That was my every day rifle growing up on the farm. Been refinished twice, cut back and re-crowned once, and I
can guarantee it's W-A-Y past 100,000 rounds fired. Still works fine.:)

I have heard that the 187's could be temperamental, never owned one.

Back