springfield mark1

evhwg

Inactive
anyone heard of this model?
i picked one up for a partial trade for a computer for $200.00 was this a good price?
it fires and looks good.
also i would like to mount a scope on it any suggestions?

I had one of these models. Unfortunately I sold it a couple of years ago for $400. It was in real nice condition and was a real good shooter with good ammo. (2" at 100 yds.).
I'd say you got a good deal on it. I wouldn't put a 'scope on it. Just shoot it like it is.
If I remember correctly, the open "Battle Sight" is regulated for about 540-550 yards wiith the original front sight blade. You will have to use the ladder site for accurate, shorter range shooting.

Neil Casper

Excuse me, but isn't the Mark I rifle the one with the left side of the receiver milled out to serve as an ejection port for the Pedersen Device?

If your Springfield is indeed a Mark I, please reconsider modifying it. It has collectors value and interest AS IS. The Pedersen Device was a replacement bolt which slipped into place in lieu of the regular 30-06 bolt. A 40 round 30 cal. pistol cartridge magazine was inserted into the replacement bolt and the gun could be fired semiautomatically. Pick up a copy of William Brophy's The Springfield 1903 Rifle or visit the Springfield Armory National Historic Site in Springfield, Mass if you want to see a Pedersen Device. Leave it Mil-Spec and buy yourself a M1903A3 to sporterize. Better yet, buy yourself a beat up Mauser 98 and sporterize that.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

If you "just gotta" put a scope on it, the reciever must be drilled and tapped for the mounts. And there went the collector value.

Anyway, there oughta be Weaver bases with the proper curve and hole-spacing for the Springfield. Used to be...

Big mistake, though, unless it's pretty beat up...

Mine's 98+% :)

Later, Art

Yup.

There were very few Pedersen bolts made. 35? 40? Some such. I've heard they're worth around $4,000, and a good bit more with a magazine. Rare, like hen's teeth.

99.99% of all Mark 1s will have the regular Springfield .30-'06 bolt.

FWIW, Art

Of course it has the 30-06 bolt. If it does have that ejection port on the left side of the receiver, don't modify it in any way. I think the production # is higher but I don't have my copy of Brophy in front of me right now. The Mark I was released on the commercial market a couple years ago. Yours is a keeper. DON'T MODIDFY IT or you'll be sorry (and the gun collecting world Pissed).

------------------

ok i wont modify it.
the guy i got it from bought it at a yardsale for $75.00 . the old fella that sold it to him said it was his fathers. im just suprised its still in good shape.
thanks for the info on the gun thou.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. By the way, for $200 and a used computer, you got it at a steal.

Gary

------------------

Back