Springfield M1911 not locking back with Wilson Mag

Dogger

Was at the NRA range yesterday firing my Springfield MILSPEC M1911A1 with a new Wilson 7 round magazine. Flawless feeding and extraction but the slide will not lock open after firing the last round. The slide DOES lock back with the factory magazine. Puzzled, I took the Wilson magazine and fired it through my Colt CCO -- no problem --slide consistently locks open when shot empty. Inserted the Wilson back into the Springfield and noticed that, if I push the Wilson mag further into the gun and keep it there by applying pressure, I can get the slide to lock open. Otherwise the slide stop does not engage. Duh. What to do? I suppose it is a problem with the M1911? Anyone have any solutions? Thanks.

George, thanks. I tried just that at home last night (the light bulb came on around 10pm). Sure enough, the Colt slide release functions well with both magazines on the Springfield. I did notice that the slide release still barely engages the slide with the Wilson magazine. So... I guess there is some subtle differences in the geometry of the two slide releases. Duh. I need to throw away that factory junk. Whose after market slide release is the best bet? I visited Ed Brown's website and his are $25 for the "usual fare" and $35 for the "hardcore" version. I don't mind dropping the $$ provided I get a slide release that works. I just don't want to buy a slide release that "barely" engages the slide with the Wilson magazine -- such images do not fill me with confidence in a weapon selected for defending the castle. Thanks!

Back