Springfield M-6 Scout Questions

Tracker

Inactive
I have the parkerized carbon steel version of the Springfield M-6 Scout, .22/.410.

In scenarios of being out in the woods for days/weeks at a time, what minimalist cleaning supplies would you take with you.

Any suggestions on treating the surface to resist rusting?

After how many rounds of .22 does it need to be cleaned? Of .410?

Thanks
RKBA!

Considering the size and weight, I would bring the Otis Kit & Caboodle cleaning kit. The cleaning rod is a flexible wire encased in a plastic tube. Carry one .22 cal brush plus one shotgun brush. The same patch holder or jag could be used for the patches (carry large patches which you can cut up for the .22). A small bottle of Breakfree would complete the kit.

Do you have the new CZ produced version of the M6? If you do then it is not parkerized, it is just beadblasted and blued which means it can rust if you are not careful. The original production made by SA were parkerized but the new ones aren't. I reccomend getting it coated in a moly resin since it is cheaper to do and holds up well.
As far as cleaning goes, you should always have a cleaning kit but I have found that the M6 (in .22 LR/.410) can go for some time without cleaning. The only thing I have found I need to do is to wipe off the breech face. Other than that, it is a low maintenence firearm.

NJW in AZ

Back