Springfield 'Loaded' M1A - recommended accessories?

Jeff Thomas

Please give me your opinion regarding which of the following accessories you would recommend (these are available as part of their 'loaded' deal). [Note, I've already decided that getting the mag's, national match leather sling, and the tools are probably a wise move.]:

1. New 6 x 40 Government Scope - price $169

2. 4 - 14 x 56 1st Generation Government Model 7.62 mm Scope - price $306

3. ANPVS-2 U.S. Military Star Light Night Vision Scope & Mount - price $490

4. Third Generation M1A Mount - price $99.00

My main uses for the M1A would be (1) learning about this historic firearm, (2) hunting, and (3) learning about high power competition.

From the research I've done, it appears the Star Light Scope is perhaps more of a historical piece than a currently valuable night vision device. And, of the two other scopes, the 4 - 14 x 56 sounds more practical and flexible in use, albeit for additional money.

I assume the Third Generation M1A mount is used in conjunction with proper rings to mount one of the 2 scopes, right?

I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks. Regards from AZ

Jeff,
You are right about the AN/PVS-2 being a collectors piece rather then a usable tool. They are large and heavy and their first generation image intensifiers are very outmoded technology. You will have to deal with the entire system "blooming out" if exposed to a bright light.

I'd recommend just getting the 3d Generation Mount and mounting the scope of your choice on it. I find the view through the Springfield scopes very cluttered and busy as it's filled with all of the little range finding stadia and the level. I have a good friend who swears by them though, so it's just a matter of personal preference.

If it was me, I'd add a few bucks to the $309.00 they want for the Springfield scope and buy a Leupold 3.5 x 10 power Standard Police Model scope. Plain duplex reticle, target knobs, matte finish. (This is what I have on my M1A so I might be a little biased :).)

Jeff

If that 3rd Generation mount is that 2 point mount (2 knobs), then be warned that it is not compatible with the Mil-Spec 2 point mount. I have the latter and tried to get a modified clip guide. Springfield Inc. told me that while the two appear alike, they are dissimilar.

BTW, the best scope mount for the M14 right now is the Brookfield Precision unit.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Let me second the comment about the Brookfield Precision Scope mount. A beautiful piece of metal and I highly recommend it.

I have 2 3rd generation mounts and they never stay tight. No matter what I did (short of locktite) they would loosen up. Finally out of desperation I picked up a brookfield, and it is tight as a drum, and easily removable. This is the only mount I could recommend, unfortunately after 2 3rd generations, 1 1st generation, 1 clone and a few other oddball mounts I learned the hard way.

On your useful add-ons, get a dewey cleaning rod and bore guide so you won't bugger up your barrel and crown. Get a cylinder tightening tool and an extra univeral tool for tightening up the cylinder screw. Get a set of tongs for removal of the flash suppresor. Get a brookfield cylinder cleanout tool set (essentially two drills mounted in screwdrivers). Get a copy of khuhansens book on the m-14 (m1a)and a copy of the army manual for the m-14. Get a good sling, dillon has a nice one.

Those are the items that came to mind in a short list. I now own 3 m1a's, and am saving for my fourth, so I have kind of got a bit of experience with them. My current goal is an springfield m21 or possibly a real m-14 if I can find one and satisfy the BATF rules about a "machine gun".

Good luck, the m-1a's are a bunch of fun to shoot and darn accurate.

pete

Pete,
I must be lucky, because I've never had my 2d Generation mount come loose. Of course I don't take it on and off much.

I have heard that the Brookfield Precision mount is "THE" mount for the M1A though.

I have an old (Devine Texas) National Match and am a little leary about breaking it down for cleaning. The old TC 23-14 Sniper Training and Employment which covers the M21 says not to take it apart for cleaning at the user level because of the glass bedding. Will I have to have it rebedded if I take it down? Or is this just in the manual to keep the soldiers from messing with it in the field?
Jeff

I have the 3rd gen mount which has been on/off my M1A-A1 "bush rifle" many times. It has never loosened or lost 'zero'.
I think the initial setup is critical with the lock ring/spacer. Maybe I just got lucky. Don't have experience with any others.
Definitely get a good sling, cyl tool, manual, cleaning rod as mentioned.
I'd also suggest looking for the short 6 rd mag for fooling around at the bench or hunting.
I had the older SA ART-IV scope. JUNK
The new ones seem alot better, but I would probably just get a Leupold.
Have fun!

Thanks for all the help.

I just went through Brownell's catalog, and can't find the Brookfield Precision mount. Any suggestions on sources?

Gentlemen, thank you.

Jeff Thomas: Try William Ricca for the Brookfield mount.

Jeff White: You can take your M14 apart, but the problem is that every time you do, you risk wear on the bedding. That's why the manual doesn't recommend disassembly at the user level. One reason why the military gave up on try to make the M14 a match rifle is that it is very high maintenance. Like an Italian sports car, it has to be kept tuned or loses its edge.

Peter Eick: Love to get a military M14 which has been converted to semi-only. There was some move about three years ago to have BATF give a variance, but have heard nothing more since then (guess they said no). Surprisingly, the Taiwanese made some good ones (they bought all our tools and dies after we stopped production). Too bad they can't be convinced to produce a semi-auto version for export.

Kingcreek: I remember those old Springfield ART IV scopes (1987). They were 3x9. What was wrong with them?
------------------

[This message has been edited by 4V50 Gary (edited November 27, 1999).]

Jeff,

I have the "loaded" Springfield M1A and opted for the 4-14 x 56 govt scope with the 3rd gen mount. I have to say that I have experienced no problems with this setup. The mount is rock solid with no problems loosening up (haven't removed the scope/mount, so I can't comment on holding zero after dismounting the scope). I also have to say that I like the rangefinding reticle of the govt model scope. The quality of workmanship and the performance of the parts has me thinking about Springfield's smaller scope calibrated for .223 for another rifle. You mentioned wanting to use the scoped M1A for hunting; I might caution you that the govt scope is no lightweight and along with the 3rd gen mount significantly adds to the already hefty proportions of the M1A. I use my rifle almost exclusively from the bench where where extra weight isn't a disadvantage; humping this combo through the bush for any appreciable time wouldn't be my idea of fun.

4V50GARY,
Not too sure, but the ARTIV might have been made by redfield. 3-9 variable with stadia wires.
The first one literally went to pieces on the inside, reticle laid in the bottom like chopsticks after a couple hundred rounds. SA replaced it with one that fogged. Third times a charm, right? They told me they would still honor the warranty IF they still had one somewhere in house.
#3 coating peeled off lens like old barn paint after 2-3 years. I've still got it somewhere.
I've had both good and bad luck dealing with SA, but my 2 M1As are great shooters. I think the company has had some ups and downs in the past, but are pretty highly thought of at present.
Just a little past history here. I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying SA products now.

William J. Ricca
P.O. Box 25
New Tripoli, PA 18066-0025
ph: 610-298-2748

May also try Fulton Armory for it too:

Fulton Armory
8725 Bollman Place, #1
Savage, MD 27063
ph: 301-490-9485

Kingcreek: thanks for the scoop on the ART IV.

------------------

Maybe number has changed for william ricca but this is one I have, 1-215-298-2748

I have used 3rd mount and found my scope rings got loose and not mount, do you guys usually lock tite the ring screws, I'm talking about the scope body, not where the rings meet the mount. Did not want to over tighten the rings and crush 30mm tube. These are new leupold heavy duty rings with nuts and bolts.

A big Ooops! and apologies re the ART-IV scope comment.
Something was bugging me last night and I had to check it out. (I'm getting older and my memory sometimes fails me.) the ART-IIIs were the real junkers.
ART-III BAD, ART-IV not great but better
Sorry for any confusion
Ober,
I always locktite rings and have never had any loosen- at least as I remember.
I have deerhunted in the dense north woods with my M1A 'bush rifle' after fitting it out with fiberglass stock, 6 rd mag, and no scope(issue peep). Even like that, its no featherweight. certainly adequate, tho
I carried the 3rd gen scope rig in my pack in case I wanted to sit on the edge of a firebreak or clearing.
On the glass bedding issue,
limit the takedown to seldom or never.
My M1A SuperMatch was glass bedded by the late Glen Nelson almost 20 years ago and has been out of stock 5 times. Only after highpower matches in monsoon weather. I always loosen the trigger group when stored.

Back