Springfield Compact?

GunFool

Anyone have anything to say about one of these? Other than that, what can I expect to pay for a new one? Thanks.

I have owned one for over a year "ultra compact"
very accurate,excellent trigger, no failures to
feed, I shoot mostly reloads 200grswc.A very fun
gun to shoot.!!!! $500, which I thought was a fair
price.

[Edited by bullet44 on 03-21-2001 at 12:14 PM]

I have one. I bought it close to two years ago. It was utterly reliable out of the box. However, I bought it because I had grown tired of buying high end Kimbers and then sending them multiple times back to Kimber for repairs.
I bought the Springfield for $519.00. I used it as a plattform (SPELLING?)to have it customized to my specifications, another $500.00. I'm quite happy with it. As I said, it was fine out of the box, I did not have this work done because there was anything wrong with the pistol, but rather as a project of my own devising.
Daddycat

Thanks for your replies. The price sounds about right and I like the single action 1911 format. My remaining concerns are:

(1) How comfortable is the grip? I understand that the newer Compacts come with the rubber wrap-around type grips (rather than the checkered kind) with a shorter grip. Is this still more or less a full four fingers on the gun?

(2) How is the recoil? I expect it to be a little more due to its smaller package but I've heard horror stories about these compact style 1911's kicking too much and rather uncomfortable to shoot. What do YOU think?

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Mine came with Hogue grips, I use mild reloads but
find no great amount of recoil with full factory
loads, however I do have the steel version, more
wt less recoil or muzzle flip.I just dont think you
can go wrong with the SA compact.

By "Compact" I assume you mean the commander-length slide with the officer's-size grip.

I bought one of these last month and I'm totally satisfied with it. Mine is a lightweight model, aluminium frame (26 oz. unloaded, not too bad), matte blue finish, "loaded". I paid what the other guys paid.

As to your question about the grip, mine came with checkered-cocobolo grips. They're thin and classy looking. I can fit all four of my fingers onto the grip, but my hands are medium sized. If your hands are too large for the Compact and this troubles you, buy the Champion (commander) model instead.

The recoil is unremarkable. I compare it to a midrange .38 special. The lightweight Compact certainly has less recoil than a lightweight .38 snubbie.

I had heard people talk about muzzle flip in compact .45s, too, but this pistol's muzzle flip is not bad. I think that the weight distribution (more weight in the front of the pistol relative to the all-steel version) and the increased barrel-to-grip length ratio make the lightweight Compact balance better than the all-steel Compact or any Ultra Compact (officers' model).

As for accuracy, I find that the pistol is more accurate than I am. I'm by no means a marksman, and my Compact put six rounds into a single, ragged hole offhand at 7 yards on its first trip to the range. That was good enough for me.

In the reliability department, there were no failures whatsoever in 100 rounds of Hydrashoks and practice ball.

Buy the pistol. I doubt that you'll be disappointed!

Yeah, that is the model I'm interested in - the size just below their 'Champion' although their website shows a different grip on the Compact and Ultra Compact. My hands are average-to-small (for a man) so I don't think I'll have any problems there. I'm going to my friendly neighborhood gun store today and, if the price is right, I'll be buying. Thanks.

Back