Springfield Armory XDM Elite

stephen426

I just picked up a Springfield Armory XDM Elite 9mm 3.8” and I am incredibly happy with it. It punches way above its weight (price point) and was an absolute steal for $399.

I am a trigger snob and I am very pleased with Springfield Armory’s META (Match Enhanced Trigger Assembly) trigger. I have a Walther PPQ Q5 and an Sig P320 X-Five. This trigger is as good as the PPQ and beats the Sig P320 easily. The take up is light and the break is clean. The reset is short and has a positive click to it. Honestly, I’d say the break is even cleaner than the Echelon, but I haven’t put that many rounds through the Echelon yet.

The slide has wide serrations that make it easy to positively grip the slide, but not so aggressive where it will snag on clothing. The grip angle feels very natural for me and the grip texture allows for a nice positive grip without being abrasive. The grip may be a little large for some hands, but it fits mine just fine.

The pistol is ambidextrous with mag release and slide release controls on both sides of the gun. While this probably isn’t a big deal for righties, it allows you to drop the mag with the middle finger of your shooting hand.

The XDM-Elite 3.8” is similar to the Glock 45 in size, having a compact size slide with a full size frame. This allows it to hold 20 rounds with flush fitting magazines. There is a mag well that makes reloading easier, but it doesn’t stick out much and is easy to conceal. 22 round mags are available, but they will obviously stick out past the bottom of the grip.

The ergonomics of the gun are fantastic. The slide release is easily accessible and the mag release is slightly recessed. The take down lever has ridges and protrudes just enough to be used like a “gas pedal” for the support hand thumb, allowing the shooter to help control recoil better. There is a loaded chamber indicator on the top of the slide that pops up slightly, and can be felt easily. There is also a small pin that protrudes slightly from the back plate, indicating that the gun is cocked. The XD series features a grip safety that is easily and naturally deactivated once you grip the gun. There is a slight bump at the base, making it more pronounced, and it is practically impossible to grip the gun without deactivating the grip safety (which is a very good thing).

My gun came with a fiber optic front sight and a U-notch rear sight. The front sight is really easy to find with enough light, but some may prefer a tritium night sight. The rear U-notch is similar to Glock’s “goal post” design and is great for quickly acquiring the target. It is less precise than three dot sights in my opinion, and some might prefer tritium night sights.

I can’t really speak about the finish yet since I haven’t had the gun that long. I believe it is a melanite finish, like their Hellcat line of pistols. I have daily carried my Hellcat for a couple of years in the Florida heat and humidity. There are no signs of rust externally or internally.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/springfield-xd-m-elite-3-8-vs-glock-g45

xdm-elite-gallery-1200x1200-5.jpg

The Springfield Armory Echelon is really getting all the glory right now, but the XDM Elites can certainly hold their own. I’m not sure how important having a removable COG (Central Operating Group) is to you. Just buy the size of gun you want and be done with it. The grip is slightly chunkier than the Echelon and the

Yes those are tempting at current prices. J & G Sales has the full size at $389.

Sounds like retailers are making way for the Echelon. Not sure it’s that much of an improvement.

A friend has the 5.25 match with PRP trigger that is very good.

I like the ergonomics of the Echelon but when somebody says it has a good trigger, I wonder what he is smoking. I figure PRP or Apex will come up with improvements.

@Mosin44az,

I'm not sure what guns you are used to, but the Echelon's trigger isn't awful for a striker fired pistol. Besides, most guns smooth out after a few hundred rounds. It even got some pretty high praise from Taran Butler of Taran Tactical. The issue with dry firing is you don’t have the same feel as firing a live round. There seems to be a weird “bounce” when dry firing. The striker has a spring that pushes the striker back so that the default position of the striker is recessed. This is different from Glock and even Springfield’s Hellcat line. Maybe that is what you are feeling.

I will say that the trigger on the XDM Elite actually felt nicer than the Echelon, but I only put a couple of mags through it. Hey, to each his own.

Last edited:
Oh, I’ll still give it a try if it’s available to rent, but it was very disappointing in the store. A number of my striker guns have had much better trigger pulls even dry firing. The “old” XDm Elite, as you note, is even one of them.

What else feels better, in my experience? Sig p320, FN 509, CZ P10, Canik Rival and Mete, Walther PDP and PPQ, Beretta APX, IWI Masada, even the Ruger Security 9 and Tisas PX9.

Not Glock, which the Echelon kind of felt like.

I think the Echelon is getting alot of hype, maybe too much. I wasn’t impressed. Maybe Taran got a nice one. That happens.

What, a Big Shot Shooter getting a "nice" gun? How could that happen?

I haven't shot or even handled everything on the market but from what I have, the best factory striker trigger was a PPQ. The very best individual trigger was on a .45. The Q5 Match I saw was excellent, better than the Q5 Match Steel beside it.

@Mosin44az

I have the Sig P320 X-Five (not Legion). Sig claimed this was a competiton ready gun, but I disagree. The stock trigger was a heavy and creepy. I installed the Gray Guns Competition Kit and it is much better now.I honestly feel that Sig has gotten really gimmicky, especially with the whole Legion crap (and the stupid challenge coin). I have yet to try the Caniks, but I've heard good things about them.

My best triggers are CZ TSO, Sig P210-6 (Swiss), P210 Legend (German), Sig P210A (American, and H&K P7M8. I'd say these are the triggers that set the bar. I don't own any Atlas or Infinity guns and my STI Edge has had work done to it, so I can't compare what it would have felt like stock (I bought it used). This is just for comparison sake.

I was referring to my regular P 320, and the good trigger on that admittedly may be luck of the draw. Got rid of my X-Five. Didn’t like the grip feel, and not impressed with anything else.

The guns I cited for comparison are all striker-fired, wasn’t thinking of the more classic designs. You’d have to start talking about 1911s if you went there.

I recall the Caniks, PDP and PPQ, and HK VP9 triggers are all based on the Walther P99, considered by some to be the best striker trigger design. Seems like that might be true in my experience.

My P 210 Standard might be my favorite gun. Everything about it is smooth. SIG USA did a great job building that one.

Last edited:
[QUOTE@Mosin44az]My P 210 Standard might be my favorite gun. Everything about it is smooth. SIG USA did a great job building that one.[/QUOTE]

The best thing about the German and American P210 is the extended beaver tail and "American" mag release. My Swiss 210 likes to bite the hand that "feeds it" even though I am aware of hand position.

I am not much subject to hammer bite, I can shoot a real 1911 and a Sig Switzer with no marks; but I did have a shooter hand my P210-6 back after three shots saying: "You might want to wipe the blood off your gun."
There is an attachable beavertail for Swiss Sigs.

"American" mag release
I guess it falls in the same category as "bore" vs "groove" diameter and not nearly as important as "clip" vs "magazine," but the earliest side button magazine catch I have seen was on a Luger made while Mr Browning was still selling Colt designs with heel catches.

Back