Springfield armory vs. Kimber

• Thread starter Thread starter PL
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

PL

Inactive
A gunsmith recently told me that he thought the springfield armory full size 1911 a1 loaded was the best gun for the money in its class. Does anyone else agree with this or has anyone out there had one they were not satisfied with? Also is there much of a difrence in quality between the springfields and a kimbers? Does anyone have an oppinion on the best 1911 a1 for the money.

Having owned several of both Kimber and SA I have noticed three areas that Kimber does a better job than SA. The slide to frame fit is tighter on Kimbers. Kimber uses a one piece barrel rather than a two piece like SA. Most importantly Kimber actually fits the barrel to the slide. On my two Kimbers the lug recess on the barrel contacts the lug on the slide as it should. Kimber also fits the lower barrel lug rather than trying to use a longer link to push the barrel up. You did not state which models you were comparing so I assumed you were looking at the basic ones. Kimber IMO builds a better basic gun than SA. As you move up in price(Gold Match) the differences shrink between the two. One thing that I do not like about Kimber is the injection molding of the small parts.

Get the Kimber. Springfield makes a good pistol, and I haven't heard of any problems with them, but the Kimbers are just as, if not more reliable, better made and much much more accurate.
As for the MIM on the small parts, don't worry about it, I haven't heard of any breakage problem and if it REALLY bugs you, you can always replace them with Wilson parts and have basically a Wilson Combat gun for much less money.

Having shot both the Kimbers and Springfield Loaded guns, I have to say that both are excellent choices. The fit and finish is superior on the Kimbers, but the Springfield 1911A1 is significantly cheaper.

For a carry gun that you don't mind having a ton of holster wear and getting a bit banged up from everyday carry, I'd go with the Springfield. It's reliable, fairly inexpensive, and a great deal. However, if you've got the cash for the nicer gun, you won't regret the Kimber either.
http://www.streetpro.com
Street Smart Professional Equipment

I concur with Arnistador's assessment.

Also, don't forget that Springfield has a lifetime service policy. Kimber doesn't.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Well, I will stir the pot up a bit. My local gun shop had a full-size Springfield Loaded model and several full size Kimbers in stock. I own a Springfield fullsize MILSPEC and a Colt CCO. First off, the slide to frame fit on my Springfield is tighter than any of the Kimbers or the Springfield Loaded or the Colt CCO. Why? I dunno. Maybe I just got lucky. Also, the barrel fits very tightly in the MILSPEC, more so than the Kimber or the Springfield Loaded or the Colt CCO. On the other hand, I shoot just as tight a group with the Colt CCO as I do with the Springfield MILSPEC. Go figure. I have had a few feeding problems with the CCO with Speer Gold Dots and even ball ammo when it is dirty. Have never had a problem with the full size MILSPEC. Kimber has done a nice job of removing a lot of the sharp edges on the frame and slide. You will notice that sharp edges remain on the Springield Loaded. The grasping grooves on the Springfield Loaded are very aggressive and sharper than on a Kimber or the Springfield MILSPEC -- these sharper edges might be a concern if you carry the pistol in a nice leather holster or if you do a lot of shooting. So which is best? Man, it is a toss up. I do believe the Springfield will prove to be just as reliable as the Kimber. The Kimber will probably have better fit and finish and will probably be more accurate in trained hands. For guys like me, who are average shooters, I don't think you will notice the difference. However, I have never fired a Kimber. Maybe it would make me a better shot. Bottom line -- see, feel, and touch the gun you are going to buy -- do not buy an M1911 sight unseen. Why? Because every manufacturer occasionally makes a turkey and you don't want to he the guy who buys it. Again, compare the guns side by side and choose the one that better meets your decision criteria. Then tell your wife you want to buy both!!

I'd go with the Kimber, they're built to tight tolernances which means superb accuracy. Although I do not own one, I know plenty who do and they have no beef's about their purchases!

PL, knowing who the smith was that said the SA loaded was better than the Kimber and why he feels that way, and owning both a SA and Kimber 1911's, I will add to this conversation.

The Kimber is better finished, has better sights, and is fit tighter. I sometimes think it maybe a little too tight. I have two, both are accurate and have good trigger pulls. My newer Stainless Classic had slide stop problems. New one from Kimber was no better. Bought a slide stop from Advanced Combat Pistols, ACP, its not a problem anymore. Do not like the plastic main spring housing.

My SA has different hues on the blueing. The slide stop and grip safety are "purple". It has sharp edges everywhere. Needs a dehorning, and will get it sooner or later. The breach face was rough, and it had failure to feed problems early in its life. Trueing the face, and polishing helped this a lot.

Both are good buys, better than anything Colt has put out in awhile and for less money. It comes down to personal preference and the individual pistol. I have seen SA's that were wonderful and some that were POS's. I can say the same about Kimber. If I could only have one or the other, I would go with a Kimber. With that being said, my next 1911 will be a custom built one by the above smith.

Johnboy

I now own both. But I couldnt pick between the two... I am loving my Kimber Pro Carry.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Mr. Hill:

I had a Pro Carry at one time, but it gave me some feeding problems with Fed 185 grain Hi-Shok, 230 grain Hydra-Shok and 165 grain Personal Defense loads. Have you had any feeding problems with some JHP ammo?

Also, after the slide locked open (and I inserted a new magazine), it was very difficult to "sling" the slide to chamber the new round (probably due to a heavy spring). I have to drop the slide by disengaging the slide stop. Have you ever experienced a problem like this with your Pro Carry?

Just curious.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

By "slinging," I mean to say retracting the slide by pulling it with my index finger and thumb as if I am shooting a sling shot.

Skorzeny

------------------

I fired both the Kimber and the SA before I boght the SA. I couldn't tell the difference in groupings, and I can live with a gun that isn't as pretty for the $200 price difference. $200 buys a lot of ammo.

All of us understand that every gun maker puts out a bad one now and then. I have two Kimber Custom Classics that I dearly love. The older Kimber has 3700 rounds through it and it's smooth, accurate, and very reliable. The newer Kimber has 300 flawless rounds and has a few more features.

I got a real buy in a brand new HiCap Springfield. It didn't arrive in the condition that I would expect of Springfield, so I sent it to Springfield for corrections. They have a reputation for having the best customer service in the industry..I'll let you know.

Greetings PL, I have a shooting partner
that shoots a standard run of the mill
1911 .45ACP from Springfield Armory. We
compete in Postal Pistol Match Competition
about every two weeks. And you know what?
I have yet to out shoot him; and I am using
the best equipment available, a Sig-Sauer
P220A and a H&K full size USP in .45 ACP!!!

------------------
Ala Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back