Springfield Armory V-12, compensated .45 Super

jimmy

At the local gunshop this afternoon I saw one of these for the first time--stainless steel, long slide, and all. Wow. Good sights, good trigger, good fit and finish. Plus, there's just something elementally awesome about the look of this pistol. For $750 it should be a lot of gun.

Has anybody here actually fired one? If so, how does it shoot? TIA.

P.S. Oops! AR-10's message below is right. It's called a V-16, not a V-12. Sorry for the goof. :o

[Edited by jimmy on 03-04-2001 at 10:20 PM]

Are you talking about the V-16 Longslide? It shoots just as good as it looks. Less muzzle flip due to the porting and the extra inch of slide and barrel. Do a search in this forum on Longslide. Then go buy it!

I'm getting one on Tuesday. I will let you know how it goes if I ever come back from the range. I held one at a gun show and I fell in love.

I just bought one yesterday at the gun show. Paid $590 plus tax. Every other dealer at the show was $775 or more. Shot the gun with standard .45's yesterday. It is very accurate. It doesn't have a bushing in the front and when I was cleaning it last night, I noticed some movement in the barrel to slide fit. However, it would still put seven shots into a ragged hole at 50 feet. The recoil is very tame with the ports and the extra weight. I can't wait to try some .45 Super loads. Overall, it is a nice pistol, but not quite up to the fit and finish of my Kimbers and Colt. I don't like how they put the serial number and "Genesco, Ill." on the gun with a series of punches instead of engraving them.

I do have one question. This gun has a two piece guide rod and a tube that goes into the front of the slide for the spring to ride in. It was EXTREMELY difficult to get this back together after I cleaned it. Is there any secret to reassembling this pistol?

David

Halffast

No secret. It takes three hands.:)

When I disassemble or reassemble I do it sitting down. I use my lap/hip to brace the butt of the gun while I pull the slide back far enough to get the slide stop out.

Getting the spring back in during reassembly is the tricky part. Place the barrel in the slide. Put the Reverse Recoil Spring Plug into the slide. Take the back half of the guide rod,insert it onto the spring. Gently cram the spring into the slide,using both hands so it doesn't fold in half and escape. Hold it with one hand ,so it can't jump out while you insert the front half of the guide rod into the slide from the front,and screw the two halves together. Just have to do it a few times to get the hang of it.

I have come to the conclusion that bull barrels are no fun when it comes to servicing a pistol. My son has a V-12,which is a full size Springfield with a ported bull barrel, and it is designed the same way.

Hope this helps.

AR-10,

Thanks for the help. It took me 45 minutes to get that darn thing back together. Now, if I can just find some reloading data for .45 Super.

David

I have a V12 which is a fantastic weapon.It is difficult to reassemble if you are not used to it.Ther first time I reassemlbed it my wife said that I was screaming words she had never heard before.

Back