Springfield Armory P9 trigger improvement

JiriK

Inactive
I bought a "new" Springfield armory P9 9mm pistol some time ago.
Pistol was unfired, but had been in gunstore´s shelf for a long time.
I have read that this pistol is the same as Tanfoglio Witness.

Trigger in this pistol is not very good.
I have polished the sear surfaces, plunger and sides of action bar.
The sear block is moving inside the frame when trigger is pulled. This is not good, but I don´t know how that could - or should be fixed. Spare parts are not available locally here in Finland.

How to fix loose sear block?

The Springfield P9 is nothing more then a Tanfoglio model.
Here in the US the Tanfoglio is now sold as the European American Armory Witness.

Tanfoglio parts should be readily available in Europe since it's an Italian company.

I don't know about Europe, but we can buy new Tanfoglio/EAA parts here from Gun Parts Corporation and direct from EAA, the importer.

A slightly loose sear block shouldn't have that big an effect.
Which trigger pull is bad; single action, double action, or both?
To tighten the sear block, you could put a slight "bump" of weld on both sides and file to a snugger fit in the frame.
A new block will probably also be loose, but you might give it a try.

You could try a lighter mainspring. Lighter springs are available from Wolff's Gun Springs.
NOTE: You'll need a long spring for the original CZ-75 style Tanfoglio, not the current short spring versions.

Is it wobbly on the pin, as if the pin's hole if too big, or does it just slide on the pin? It should be the same gun as a CZ75 I think. Anyhow, if it is sliding over, to where something could interfere with it's operation, one could possibly shim either side, to keep it from moving toward either side. It may need that, though, to work with the decocker and disconnector.

Part number 11 is the sear, below:

CZ_75.jpg

Copyright (C) http://www.okiegunsmithshop.com/CZ_75.jpg

The part that was loose inside the frame is "Witness Sear Assy Housing W/Ejector - (#13.1) #301741" seen in the diagram found here: http://eaacorp.com/gun_accessories/index.php/parts/tanfoglio/witness/witness-parts/witness.html?p=3

P9 is very similar to CZ75, but not 100%.

I tried to solder a piece of 0.2mm steel on that part, but that didn´t work. So I used silver solder on the right side of the part and filed it so it just fits inside frame. Now the sear assy does not tilt to the left & move to the back like it used to.

Also made spacers (2pcs) from 0.15mm steel so the sear does not move along it´s pivot pin inside the sear assy housing (but it still rotates free)

Dfariswhee, I shoot mostly single action, and compared to my other pistols the trigger on this one was horrible. Now it is better. I´ll go test again next weekend.

The sear shouldn't tilt, and what you did would be the best fix, to take up any slack so it can't. I would say that the ejector housing, that holds all that, is a casting, and they may have had a mold that was off, or they machined something off. If that doesn't work out, you may have to try a new ejector housing, however, $63 is expensive. It does look to be a cast part, maybe made by investment casting, that has been machined afterwards.

It would be nice if you could borrow another, and see how its fit is inside.

"Bedding" the part to the frame with epoxy may be an option. Just like glass bedding a rifle.

If don't want to deal with the glue, jb weld steel putty is a good stuff. It is like welding without the heat. File to fit when it cure. It is tough as steel. Learn this from a forum member here. Use this method to add height to a c96 front sight. Works beautifully.

-TL

I thought about bedding the part to the frame with some chemical metal, but decided not to do it. Thickness of the layer needed to remove the gap would have been so small that I think the epoxy would chip sooner or later.

Part looks cast with some machined surfaces. I can try to get another sear assy housing, but I don´t expect to find one here. Most 9mm pistols here are CZ´s. My P9 is the only P9/Witness I have ever seen.

Back