Springfield Armory new "Integral Locking system"

No4Mk1*

New on their website, all SA 1911s will have a built in lock along with a chamber load indicator. The chamber load indicator is just like S&W's design- a hole drilled into the chamber. Could there have been an under the table deal like S&W's? I don't like Integral locks since locked guns need to be obviously locked. That means in a safe or with a cable lock going through the action. I also like unlocked guns to be clearly unlocked. Now you have to cock the hammer and drop it to be sure you unlocked the gun. I wonder how many NDs this will create.

With the money SA spent on this, they probably could have given a safety class to all new SA 1911 owners.

Each gun could come with a coupon for a free trip to Thunder Ranch and it wouldn't make them legal in some states.

Unfortunately, the Taurus, Remington and now Springfield locking mechanisms do look like some sort of back-channel deal to avoid the wrath of Andrew Cuomo.

From the looks of it, the integral lock on the new Springfields is contained entirely in the main spring housing. One could simply change the main spring housing. No big deal.

I'm more concerned about the stupid hole drilled in the barrel for use as a chamber loaded indicator. Completely unnecessary.

These "safety" items are now necessary to be able to sell handguns in Massachusetts, and probably Kali, and Md. They are probably just standardizing there line to be 50 state legal/sellable.

I do see what you mean about being unsure, is my 1911 locked or unlocked. Instead of a chamber indicator, they need a locking indicator!

I just bought a S&W 945, which is a 1911 variant pistol, which has the cut in the top of the chamber. It comes in pretty handy, I don't trust it to show it is unloaded, but it is handy to see that, yep, my pistol is still Loaded! It also has serial numbers on everything, plus an extra sn on the frame, and a 3rd sn on the frame which is about the size of the head of a pin.

as far as that locking device, I bet they licensed the technology from Taurus. Taurus has offered it to any mfg who asks.

TC

It will be interesting to see how many of the retrofit mainspring housings including the lock Springfield sells. I doubt there will be that great a market for them. The whole idea may make sales of standard mainspring housings increase as people get rid of the locking system.

I'll let the bad guys lock their guns up.
I never tell other people what to do.
Guess I could never be a liberal.

Back