Springfield Armory 1903 Dummy Training Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurch37

No this isn't about me personally...rather it's about some training rifles my father gave me. On the butt plate it says...Dummy Training Rifle, Mark 1 USN, Parris Dunn Corp., Clarinda Iowa. I have 4 that are assembled and the stocks and parts for 5 more. Anybody know anything about these? Is there any collectability to these particular rifles? Thanks

Yes, there is. I can't give you a price range as those guns are a bit out of my area of so-called expertise, but I see them at gun shows and there have been articles on them in the collector magazines. I doubt they bring any fortune, but they are definitely of collector interest.

Jim

I believe there were some at Camp Perry last month when i was there at the CMP store....didn't see what they were selling for.

There's more on the web if you search.

1903 Springfield Rifle collectors

Dummy 1903 Training Rifle

I just returned from the Winchester Arms Collectors Assn. annual show in Cody, Wyoming. Great show with 21 displays and 300 trade tables BTW. One of the interesting items that followed me home were 4 Dummy Training Rifles, Mark 1-USN manufactured by the Parris Dunn Corp., Clarinda, Iowa and so marked on the butt plate. These pieces appear to have never been used and are in mint condition including bright and supple leather slings. Can anyone tell me anything about these and approximately when they were acquired by the U.S.N.?

Dummy 1903 Training Rifle (views: 114) -- Rick Hill -- Wednesday, 21 June 2006, at 8:16 am
Re: Dummy 1903 Training Rifle (views: 84) -- Tom in N.J. -- Wednesday, 21 June 2006, at 10:39 am
Re: Dummy 1903 Training Rifle (views: 73) -- Tom in N.J. -- Wednesday, 21 June 2006, at 10:52 am
Re: Dummy 1903 Training Rifle *PIC Inside* (views: 84) -- Rick Edwards -- Wednesday, 21 June 2006, at 12:07 pm
Parris-Dunn (views: 73) -- Jim Keenan -- Wednesday, 21 June 2006, at 12:14 pm
Re: Parris-Dunn (views: 59) -- Rick Hill -- Thursday, 22 June 2006, at 1:24 pm
Re: Dummy 1903 Training Rifle (views: 60) -- frank wagner -- Tuesday, 15 August 2006, at 1:34 pm
Re: Dummy 1903 Training Rifle (views: 154) -- Bill Hanlon -- Tuesday, 9 January 2007, at 6:40 pm
Re: Dummy 1903 Training Rifle *PIC Inside* (views: 151) -- Rick Hill -- Tuesday, 9 January 2007, at 7:45 pm
Re: Dummy 1903 Training Rifle (views: 14) -- Bill Hanlon -- Wednesday, 17 January 2007, at 12:25 pm
Re: Dummy 1903 Training Rifle (views: 17) -- gdict -- Thursday, 18 January 2007, at 8:39 pm

Thanks for the info...I had already been over there at CSP and saw that thread TPAW, good stuff it is. I just thought maybe there might be some more in here. Thanks again.

One anecdote - -

I had a table at the Denton, Texas, gun show last spring or summer. A cousin asked me to liquidate several guns owned by my late uncle.

One was such a Parris Dunn training rifle. It was in only fair condition, having been used as a child's toy when my cousin and I were young. It was complete, without sling or bayonet, but quite worn and scratched up. I thought it might bring $30 or so. When I googled Parris Dunn and found some information, I went ahead and put about ten minutes into cleaning it up. I tightened up some screws, brushed off the stock, and put some tung oil on the stock.

I put it on the table with a descriptive label and a $125 tag on it. I intended to sell for $100, but would have gone down to $70 or so. When i needed to leave for a while, I left my cell phone number with the lasy at the next table. When I returned a bit later, the woman's teenage daughter apoloogized for not being able to reach me. (Turned out she had transposed two digits and kept getting a wrong number.) Anyway, an interested buyer got impatient and just gave her the $125, took the piece and left! I thanked her profusely and tipped her for her trouble. :p

I realize that this is only a single datum. I just think it interesting that this training aid went for more than I paid for my first REAL Springfieldso many years ago. I'd imagine that an as-new example, especially with sling, could easily bring three or four hundred dollars.

Best of luck
Johnny

Hi folks,
I'm new to this forum!
I have a MK-1 Parris Dunn training rifle. It is missing the stacking swivel and the butplate is pretty rusted. Does anyone have replacements for these?
Thanks,
Mike Wright

parts for a PARRIS DUNNE 1903 training rifle

I need a rear sight and a butt plate for my 1903 PARRIS DUNNE trainer, if any one has the parts I need please let me know? thanks, toot44

Welcome to The Firing Line there's lots of good folk and good information here.

This thread is a bit over six years old and your request might be overlooked as folk read through all the information before this. Next time feel free to start a new thread with your request.

That said, maybe the best place to go for any firearms parts is:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/

The Numrich Gun Parts Corporation.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back