Springfield ammo recommendations

Casey

While shooting last night, I overheard a conversation between a guy behind the counter and a shooter with a new Springfield. According to the new owner, Springfield specifically recommends against Speer Lawman ammuntion (among others, including CCI) and recommends American Eagle for use during breakin.

What's with that? I have had several new guns (Kimber, Baer and Colt) and don't remember any of them recommending brands of ammuntion?

Anyone out there with a new Springfield that knows about this?

Casey

[Edited by Casey on 12-27-2000 at 10:08 AM]

Huh? I never heard of that - infact - I almost shoot Speer Lawman EXCLUSIVELY in my Stainless Springfield 1911. Out of about 3000 rounds I have had only 1 stoppage. I would not say that that is a problem. (Included in that estimated figure is a box of rounds reloaded by a fellow Utah TFL member. Very good quality on those reloads.

Other rounds such as the CCI Blazers, UMC or American Eagle - I avoid. Those rounds have a greater inconsistancy than I care to deal with. The CCI Blazers - While a better load - use those aluminum cases that I just dont trust in .45 with an unsupported chamber.

George,

No dissin' on the Springfields, just a notation and question.
I've shot some, made ammo for some, and it seemed some were 'short'.
Not all, but some.
Question is about the 'troublesome' load, and I wondered if anyone had one around to measure a few OAL's and get back to us here. (Ogive, you know.)

Speer 230 Ball 1.262
Speer 230 GDot 1.202
Fed 230 HShok 1.208

Pretty short stuff there...

I've been shootin' the Lawman (as above) 200 rds. with no probs.

My Champion doesn't like the Gold Dot.
It does like the Hydra-Shok though...

BTW, Mine is new. 12-24-00...and the ONLY things it's had are the Lawman and 50 UMC Ball...No prob...

One mag of the GD and one of the HS.

Back