Springfield Alloy Compact .45 VS. All-Steel Ultra Compact

Grapeshot

Springfield .45 Compacts: Alloy VS. All-Steel?

Both pistols are of the stainless persuasion.

The alloy Compact has a 3.9 inch barrel and the Ultra Compact has a 3.5 inch barrel, so I really wasn't making my decision based on the differences between the two models, just was wondering if alloy would be better than all-steel.

The gun will be used for concealed carry.
I presently have a full-sized 1911 and would like something a bit more carryable. However, I don't want to end up with something that is too hard to control at the expense of carryability.

So how is the recoil of the aluminum model compared to a full-size 1911 (which I find very comfortable)?

I would like to believe that the alloy model doesn't kick all that much worse, but there is a substantial weight difference and I usually prefer heavier guns for ease of controllability (you can tell I'm leaning toward the all-steel version).

Thanks in advance.

Don't forget the wear factor of an alloy framed compact 1911 variant. If you plan on shooting it a little bit, and carrying it a lot, no problem. But if that gun sees 50-100 rounds every Saturday, I'd take a good look at the frame rails, etc. when you have it apart for cleaning after each shooting session. I'd get either some TW-25B or Tetra Gun Grease for the lubrication on those steel/aluminum interface points.

I like to shoot every pistol in my inventory a good bit, especially my carry pieces. The older gentleman who built my steel Caspian Officer's ACP for me first let me work with a Colt Officer's Lightweight, and an alloy-framed Para Ordnance P12-45. With the increased slide velocity and stronger recoil springs of the lightweight compacts, you could see where the alloy-framed guns would wear sooner than their steel counterparts. Of course, if you wear one out or crack it, you just get another one. My issue Beretta M9 is alloy framed, and aside from the anodizing being worn, still functions just fine, although I consider that pistol seriously oversize for the cartridge...

I agree with Gewehr98. If you're going to shoot the pistol frequently, go for increased durability. If you're going to carry it more than you shoot it, go for decreased weight.

My lightweight Compact's recoil is not bad. I don't consider it to be much more stout than that of a full-size 1911. I highly recommend this pistol.

I would check both side by side and if possibe carry both.

If you choose the alloy model, recoil will be more, but it can be offset by having the barrel/slide compensated. This will greatly increase control with multiple follow up shots. You also want the longest barrel possible for max velocity. The barrel is easy to conceal, the grip is the pain.

To make a long story short, to me a few ounces in weight savings means a lot because I never want to be in a situation where I left my gun at home because it was too heavy or not convenient to lug around and really have to need it.

Good shooting
REd

Back