springfield .45 pistols

Status
Not open for further replies.

arthur

gentlemen, i think i have pretty much decided on a springfield pistol in .45 caliber.i like the full size -1911 a1-in a blued finish.i also am thinking about the springfield hi-cap model, what do you guys think.i know the -1911a1--is all steel what is the construction material of the springfield hi cap,is it all steel construction or is it of composite construction.any thoughts,and opinions would be helpful.---thankyou----arthur

Springfield two-piece barrels are not very accurate. If you want a single stack government model, look the Kimber's over. Springfield is hyping their "loaded" guns pretty hard but, Kimber still has the nod for the total package in terms of features, price and, quality.

Sid
---
Tx FFL

I know Springfield can make a good gun, but their quality control can be pretty sorry. I'd look one over pretty hard before I bought it. I really hate to relay this story, but it's true. A friend of mine bought one of their semi-custom two tone compact guns. He shelled out a pretty good chunk of change for it new. The front sight was bent, the rear sight was so loose that I removed it with simple thumb pressure, the extractor was protruding 1/4" from the rear of the slide, and there was another problem that slips my mind at the current time. All of this on a "custom" gun. Fortunately, he planned on getting the sharp edges broken and night sights installed. $240.00 later, it's a nice piece.

------------------
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Matthew 5:9

Interesting thread. I have a Springfield MILSPEC that I bought 6 months ago. The barrel to slide fit is superb -- it locks up tight! When in battery I cannot get any lateral or vertical play in the slide-to frame-fit -- even when manhandling it. The dust cover seems to be cut a tad low, as I can see the recoil spring when I hold the gun sideways and peer through the profile of the gun. Also, the front sight post leans just a tad to the right -- enough to be noticeable. Everything else is great and the gun shoots accurately and reliably. I have owned 3 Springfields and 2 Colts and my nod has to go to Springfield.

Arthur, the Springfield Wide Bodies Models are made from forgings & accept Para Hi Cap mags ! :D
Good news is that the Para mags are still plentiful ranging in price from $75(private) to $120 (shop).

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

Good luck with the Springfield. I always wanted one I had my heart set on the Stainless Trophy, but the gun shop didn't have it. I just happend to look at the Kimbers and fell in love all over again.

I ended up buying the Super Match and an now saving up for the new Stainless Covert

super_match.jpg

[This message has been edited by Kimber Man (edited September 28, 1999).]

RE: Springfields

My girlfriend and I both bought blued 1911 models and we both love them. For the price, they can't be beat. Yes, the Kimbers come very nice out of the box, but they also cost hundreds more.

Both our guns came with a very tight slide to frame fit (among the best I've seen in any production 1911) and functioned flawlessly out of the box. Took about 250 rounds to smooth out the action and get rid the gritty feel of the slide moving back, but they are both smooooooth now. Trigger came at about 5lbs, very clean pull.

The only mods I put on my gun were a McCormick full length guide rod, McCormick safety, and Hogue grips (I hate wood grips.)

My girlfriend switched out her trigger with a short one (she has tiny hands) and put in a Kings Custom full length rod to replace the blued factory two piece.

We've both put our Springfields through their paces and are thoroughly pleased. I'd trust my life to mine (and 9 rounds of ProLoad 230 grain!)

Tim
http://www.streetpro.com
Street Smart Professional Equipment

hs,you say that the springfield wide bodies are all forgeings.does that mean that the gun is all forged steel construction except for the grips.also how wide,is wide.i have handled a para p-14,is it that wide-more-or -less-.one more question please,is the springfield a real 1911.i understand that the para is a fine gun,but i have heard that it is a deviation on the 1911,the deviation being -a ramped barrel,and some small internal parts. is the springfield widebody also a deviation on the 1911? at this time i think i want a true 1911,but hi-capacity would be a welcome deviation.and gentlemen,thankyou for your comments,and if you guys have more to add,lets have it.--thankyou---arthur

Arthur,

I bought a one of the basic Springfield loaded models about 6 months ago and couldn't be happier. While I had a few failures to feed in the first hundred rounds, it seemed to have worked itself out over the last five hundred. The gun is tight, well-made and easy to shoot. I would recommend Springfield highly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back