Springfield 1903A1 CMP Vintage Sniper Match Rifle

Calfed

A few years back I grabbed this sporterized high-number Rock Island 1903at an auction with the plan of converting it into a 1903A1 USMC sniper rifle suitable for the CMP vintage sniper matches. My sons and I are planning to shoot in those matches.

y5XfmNi.jpg

It had the C stock and the scope mounting blocks already mounted. . The barrel was pristine and interestingly, is a less common Sedgeley.

S7adJzN.jpg

rSprUHF.jpg

I was satisfied this was a decent shooter after my son shot 100 yard groups like this with the Redfield sight that was mounted on the gun.

N7kIvoi.jpg

I mounted an 8x Lyman Targetspot Junior for some long range work and the rifle shot very credibly at 550 yards.

hTz8drj.jpg

I have run into some issues, however. Turns out that the C stock, a required element of the rifle, had been cut too short to use. The 8x Lyman scope, while legal, is so dim that it is far from optimal for use in the match. The scope blocks were good and properly drilled and tapped, but also were not optimal for the match. Bottom line, it needed some work. After a new stock, new scope blocks, the addition of a few missing parts, I got this...

dzOJW4Z.jpg

I also bought an 8X Hilux reproduction Unertl scope, but discovered issues with it and had to send it back to HiLux for repairs.

I got behind on this project, but finally received the scope back from Hilux, supposedly repaired. Last week I took the rifle to range, where I mounted the HiLux scope and found that the cross hairs were canted about 45 degrees off plumb. Damn!

I went ahead and fired the gun at 25 yds as is and found the rounds hit far to the right. I adjusted the scope until the hits were centered, then moved the target back to 75 yards. I couldn't get the rifle to group very well and finally removed the scope and fired 5 rounds of the Federal Gold Medal Match using the iron sights and was rewarded with an approximate 1" group. So Chuck did a fantastic job with the rifle. Still working with HiLux on the scope.

I called HiLux when I got home and they explained that I could loosen a couple of screws on one of the rings and plumb the reticle.

@75 yards. Pasters covering 25 yard shots, unpasted holes @ 75 yards with scope, small group in upper left shot with iron sights @ 75 yards.

RrYRL2v.jpg

The thing that kills me is that I have a Lyman Super Targetspot and a Fecker which both look better than the HiLux, but are unmarked as to power. I would gladly use them if I could determine that they are of legal power (Max of 8X).

I also have a Litschert Spotshot, but it is marked "10 power" and needs a new reticle.

lwUDfc3.jpg

Went ahead and mounted the Fecker and the Lyman, just to see how they looked.

Fecker

7JwjK5G.jpg

Lyman

bdetUAr.jpg

Back