Springfield 1903 question

Avery87

Inactive
I have a springfield 1903 with a serial number starting 4747***. I was trying to find out the year it was made to see if it would be safe to shoot modern 30-06 ammo. Ive tried looking up different websites but am getting mixed answers. Or if anyone knows of any websites where i can order ammo that meets the same specs to the loads shot back then. Any help would be appreciated. I has a sporter stock and is scoped.

The barrel is marked s c 6 43 is this a newer barrel?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, you have left out some essential identifying points, but I suspect you have a Smith-Corona 1903A3, which were made during WWII. They are perfectly safe to shoot with any factory or military loads. Your barrel date, if original, puts manufacture as June, 1943.

If you could supply some more details, such as receiver markings, type of sights, etc. it would be helpful, unless, of course, the rifle has been sporterized and scoped, in which case you will have to remove the forward scope mount to uncover the maker's name on the receiver.

Clear detailed photos would be even better; Full length showing entire gun, some pictures of the action, and, if possible a picture of the name on the receiver, etc..

Last edited:
It is sporterized. And I understand. Under the scope mount there is a letter S visible. I will try and post pictures when I get back to my ccomputer. The forums seem to be having issues with my cellphone pictures.

I just looked up the different blocks of number for the 03A3s. Your s/n puts it squarely in the last block of serials assigned to Smith-Corona during WWII.

It's a shame someone sporterized it; For a Smith-Corona (according to the Blue Book) you add 25% over a Remington made 03A3. IIRC (and I may not) some Smith-Coronas had 6 groove barrels and bring another premium.

At any rate, assuming it's in good condition, it is perfectly safe to fire any modern .30-06 ammo in it.

I received it sporterized. Was caked in dust when I got it. I broke it down, didn't find any rust or anything. Thank you so much for helping me out. I will remove the scope mount and see what it says.

You're welcome. Let us know the maker, although I am 99.99% sure you have a Smith-Corona.

Last edited:
is the metal (except for the holes) still original? Or has the bbl been cut down?

They are a lot of fun to bring back to their former glory. A nekkid stock can be had from Boyds, and all the metal parts are still plentiful at sources such as Numrich and Sarco. And, 6-48 (or so) plug screws can at least take a little bit of the uglies out of those holes.

All SC's have this S/N range. Numbers: 3608000 - 4992000
Serial number 4747000 was made in 1944. So was 4748000.
All Smith Corona's were model 1903A3, not '03's, and were made in 1943 and 1944. All '03A3's are safe with any ammo.
How long's the barrel? Hopefully it wasn't cut when your rifle was sporterised.

Back