Springfield 1903 Mark1 Rifle

JeffSSig

I looked at a new never been fired or issued US Springfield 1903 Mark1 Rifle today.

I was wondering what these are worth?
Ill not post their asking price but I felt it was high.

Really truly new and unissued?
That is so unusual in a USGI as to set the value high.
If it has the Pedersen Device cutoff and sear, add some more to it.

All of them were fired...that was part of the proofing process, wasn't it? Don't take this the wrong way, but how do you know the rifle is as represented to you?

I've had one for years as a deer rifle.I don't think they have much value unless the gun is complete , that is with the Pederson device, bolt, magazine etc.
For those who know nothing about the Mk I it confuses them to see two ejection ports !!:D

"All of them were fired...that was part of the proofing process, wasn't it?"

Yes, they were.

And that's also considered to be a given in the firearms community.

Unfired means not fired outside the factory.

"I don't think they have much value unless the gun is complete , that is with the Pederson device, bolt, magazine etc."

I wish I could say that $1,000 to $1,500 and up isn't much value...

A Mark I will need the original stock, original sights, original bolt, original barrel, original finish, original handguard, original cutoff, and original trigger parts to command a premium price. The original stock is cut for the ejection port.

Mark I barrel:

SA4-20barreldateDSCN5357.jpg

Mark 1 trigger parts and special cut off.

Mark1SearmechanismDSCN5356.jpg

Rebuilds made around a Mark I receiver the only premium is the curiosity factor.

If it comes complete with Pedersen device, you had better bring a wheelbarrow of money.

I had a chance to buy a Mark 1 with Pedersen device in the 80's for $5,000. I wish I had taken it because I have not seen another and it would be worth more.

Safe to say the OP's gun will not have the Pederson device. The left side receiver cutout for the device does not affect functionality, and all Mark I's were made late enough to insure safe shooting with regular .30-06 ammo. I have one that someone fitted with a Redfield target receiver sight and it shoots quite well. The price of '03 Springfields has been marching upward for some time. I have seen some 03A3's lately with an asking price pushing $1000. Folks usually want as much or more for a Mark I as they do for a standard 03, say, an 03A1. One in unfired condition would be most unusual and the sky would be the limit.

Back