springfield 1884 "Carbine" / M1 garand swap?

So here's the question. I have a Springfield 1884 trapdoor rifle that was made into a carbine, as far as I can tell. The barrel and rear sight are marked with an "R" and the serial number is 486xxx, when no carbines were made, if Im not mistaken. Also the stock is not original as there are no holes drilled into the butt for the tools although the butt plate has the opening for them, and the stock is in almost perfect shape with only a couple of tiny dings. Its definately nice looking and in great shape, but not a real carbine. I received it as a throw-in to sweeten the deal when I bought my truck. The guy who I got it from now would trade me a Springfield M1 garand for the springfield 1884 and $50. The M1 is in great shape, better than CMP service grade, although I wouldn't call it Correct since there's a couple parts which are from other manufacturers. He would also sell me the M1 for $800, so he is valuing the 1884 at $750. I also think he believes it is an actual carbine, or at least thats what he told me when I recieved it. So do I make the swap? I've seen the cut-off carbines selling for $800, but are they really worth that much? What would you do? Keep the 1884 and do nothing, trade it for the M1, or buy the M1 for cash?

Back