Springfield 1855 Carbine Pistol

r010159

Anyone hear of this? Here is a photo of what I am talking about on GunBroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=552945465

(Administrator please note that reference to the copywriter is made with a URL of the item being sold and only one photo from the advertisement. Please note that I am not the seller, and I am not an agent of the seller)

I am thinking of purchasing this collectible, but I want to find out how desirable this firearm is to collectors. It uses the once experimental Maynard cap system. It seems to be in fair condition, and would be IMO good (not very good) condition if it were not for the rusted barrel. I am thinking that possibly most of the rust can be removed with a good soaking in penetrating oil. It does come with its stock which I find very unusual.

Bob

Last edited:
You'll find images of that pistol on pages 119-20 of Daniel D. Hartzler & James B. Whisker's U.S. Martial Single Shot Pistols. The prototype (right lockplate shape but no door for the Maynard Tape Primer) in the Cody Museum is on page 118.

Yes, the buy now price is high. He always has high buy now prices. If I turn out to be interested, I would offer him something perhaps like $3200. I think it is in fair condition but not what I would term as "good" condition. What I like about this firearm is that it actually comes with its stock.

You don't want to affect the patina and I'd use natural (no additives) coconut oil and a nickel (the five cent piece) to remove the rust from the barrel.

I once handled and closely examined a like-new one at Harpers Ferry. I don't know if it is still there or not. "The Ferry" didn't make them, though; they were all made at Springfield. Like other shoulder stocked pistols, the idea sounds better than it works.

Jim

Has anyone else know about this pistol? BTW "4V50 Gary", I will purchase that book on U.S. Martial pistols.

Bob

This pistol was used by the US military, being issued, I think to Cavalry troops. I also think they hated it. Only one shot, and it was awkward to use the butt stock when mounted, and it did not add much to accuracy. I believe the Maynard priming system also had issues. The tape primer was also present on the Springfield Model 1855 Rifle Musket, but disappeared when the Springfield Model 1861 Rifle Musket appeared. The six shot Colt Dragoon and Model 1851 Navy revolvers were available also in this time frame. When the Colt Model 1860 .44 revolver appeared, the cavalry went for it and this single shot pistol quickly disappeared. Collectors seem very interested in this piece however, because it was US issue. Prices are usually quite high.

They were made from 1855-1857 with Springfield making 4.021 of them. A few without the tape primer were made at Harpers Ferry. They were not intended to be fired from horseback but used by dismounted cavalry.

Back