spring hunts are near, need load info

tahunua001

hello all,
here in Idaho spring turkey and Black bear are just around the corner. since trying my damnedest to kill anything at all ended in complete disaster last year, this year I am going to go ahead and try my hand at hunting with my milsurps.

the two I'm considering are a 6.5 arisaka with 140 gr nosler accubonds and an M1 garand with 180gr speer deepcurls.
does anyone have a tackdriver load for either of these guns and bullet weights?

factory 6.5 ammo that I have is actually pretty amazing for accuracy but I just want something with a little bit better BC just to be sure.

Iron sights on both? What's your self-limited distance to take a shot on a game animal?

If under 350 yards or thereabouts, I wouldn't be concerned about ballistic coefficient even one teensy-tiny little bit.

preferably I'll be in a blind sitting on some bait so 100 yards give or take.

200 yards would probably be my maximum comfortable though I have hit gongs at 400 yards with the arisaka. maybe ballistic coefficient isn't the best word but better bullet construction is more what I'm looking for. I'm just worried about a good balance between good penetration and good expansion.

and yes irons on both.

The 6.5 is a penetrator by itself, but with either, I'd think any decent cup and core bullet will do you just fine. Remington and Hornady are my 2 favorites. While they're "cup and core" they're both locked with a ring around the jacket that makes them a bit better on weight retention. Even my .270 with Federal power-shok factory ammo with either of its cup and core bullets will go through an elk's neck and spine without blowing up. Heavy for caliber tend to penetrate farther within reason.

Back