Spray "paint" for reloads

CrankyCrash

Inactive
I just started reloading and have seen folks at USPSA/IPSC matches spraying their ammo with something that looked like colored paint, but it wan't paint.

Does anyone have an idea what that stuff may be and where I can find more information about it?

Thanks.

No, this is stuff that I've seen shooters putting on themselves. At the time I wasn't reloading so I never thought to ask them.

Now that I've started reloading, I think it would be nice to "color code" some of my cartridges. Wouldn't you know it, I haven't seen anyone using the stuff to ask them about it.

lay out dye?

I have seen reloaders use magic markers to indicate there cases for picking up after shooting. In the metal working industry we use a lay out dye, normally blue or red that can be purchased in bottles we wipe on or spray cans. I suspect you can check out Granger Supply or some industrial supply place to see if this is still out there. It has been a while since I used a spray can of it. Does this sound like what you are talking about?

Lay out dye is a poor choice as it has the tendency to build up in the chamber. A Marks O Lot set up as below is one way to do it.

Attachments

• BrassStriperInUseRS.jpg
    BrassStriperInUseRS.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 149
It's dykem. It's really thin, used to mark metal parts to see where parts rub, check clearance, etc. You can get the spreay on or brush on. Brush on seems to work better. Most popular colors are blue and red.

golf97 re S&B

S&B used to copper-coat their steel 9mm cases. They said that got too expensive, so now they use a brass coating process.

Back