Spotting Scopes

Watchman

I am in the market.
I'm going to Bass Pro in Springfield and I want to buy a decent spotting scope without spending a fortune. Ive been looking at the Wind River Products put out by Leupold.

Any comments ? Are there any in that price range that may be better?

Any comments on any spotting scope worth having would be appreciated.

I've used a 25X Kowa for a couple of years. It does what I've asked it to do, so far. About the same price as the Leupold.

Can find them at Champions Shooters Supply , or Creedmore Sports . I think Jim Owens still sells them as well.

A HP coach told me once that anything more than a 25X could be overkill, and cause some serious problems wih mirage at longer ranges. His two cents.

Regards,
S.

Thanks gentlemen,

After looking at the links, I went with the Wind River as described.

Went to BassPro and looked through several spotting scopes. The yall looked good, but when you compared them side by side, the Wind River looked to be the clearest for the price.

RevNate, where in Arkansas are you ?

Right here in the armpit of the entire state- Pine Bluff.

I'm glad to hear you like the Wind River. I ordered one from Natchez today.

Nate

If you can tolerate the extra weight involved, as with a spotting scope you won't carry hunting all day, give some thought to the exit pupil. Exit pupil equals the objective lens diameter divided by the magnification. It is an indication of the relative brightness of the scope, but it also has a great effect on ease of use. A larger exit pupil is easier to align the eye with, and more tolerant of misalignment, and thus makes for more comfortable and quicker use.

Right here in the armpit of the entire state- Pine Bluff

oh man....I sure hope you are armed !

I am in Russellville.

oh man....I sure hope you are armed !

Yes... heavily, in fact. It's a far cry from God's country up there where you are. Nice town, Russellville- my bro-in-law went to college at Tech until this past May- visited there often.

Nate

About six months ago I purchased a Wind River spotting scope. Wind River makes spotting scopes and Binoculars who are sold and warranteed by Leupold. They are made in Korea. The scope I purchased cost $204.00 and is a 15-45x60 and is sharp as a tack.

Back