Spotting scope that won't break the bank for 1K yards?

tobnpr

I'd like to upgrade to some clearer glass from what I'm using currently, a fairly inexpensive Winchester.

Suggestions? Big Vortex optics fan, anyone have their spotting scopes?

Check out used astronomy scopes.;)

Those guys are into high tech computer guidance nowadays & are always selling of perfectly good optics to upgrade to the computer aided ones.
I found this one for a song & even after getting a couple of accessories to make it suitable for terrestrial use I had change from $300.00. I can change the power just by swapping the 3 eyepieces it came with from 32X to 64X or even 94X. It's sharp enough to show 30 cal holes at 300 yds & clear enough to read mirage.
DSCF0254_zpsa9fd4450.jpg

I have a Celestron Ultima 80 with a 20-60X eyepiece that's very good. At 20-25X, it'll resolve most 30 caliber bullet holes in the black at 1K when the air is cool and calm with the sun at decent angles.

I could be talked into selling it. Comes with a Celestron T-Ring Nikon SLR camera adapter for digiscoping.

Check out used astronomy scopes.

Never thought of that...
Coincidentally, there's a nice Meade "backpack" telescope (relatively small, programmable, electronic tracking, etc.) that I never did learn how to use looking pretty on it's tripod in the family room. Think I'll see if I can re-purpose it...thanks!

Winner, Winner......:D

Just remember to get an erecting prism for it before you go nuts doing the left=right & up=down conversions in your head. Look about & you should find one for between $50~90, depending on eyepiece diameter.

Back