Spotting scope stand...

swingset

If I were to design and fabricate a solid, portable spotting scope stand for competition use featuring these features, would it be a winner?:

1. Height adjustable up from 3' to 6'
2. Solid or tripod base, very secure.
3. Single vertical stand to sit to the immediate left of right hand shooter, or vice versa
4. All machined steel
5. Micro adjustable 3-way movement head
6. Selling price $59.95

I have the design, the machine shop willing to crank them out, and I'm 100% sure I can meet this price point.

Would that be a thing worth doing, in your opinion compared to what's out there?

I'd appreciate your opinions. I don't want to elaborate more on specifics or give away my idea, so bare that in mind.

I would be interested in such a thing. I have been hunting for one for the last couple of months that meets my needs. See what I want on a lot of firing lines but never see them in any catalogs, web sites, etc...

What kind of competition? There are many stands on the market for Highpower that will go from 2" off the ground (for prone) to almost 7'. Granted, they are somewha tmore expensive than the $59 you quote, but I think it will cost you more for a quality stand taht has this range of motion.

A few examples:

The Jim Owens stand...

prone_stand_large.jpg

standing_stand_large.jpg

The Creedmore Sports stand...

stand.jpg

And the Giraud Stand...

standa.jpg

rwbstand.JPG

My design would resemble the giraud stand closest of the above, but would cost about $120 less.

With a simple mod, it could be used 4" off the ground....or up to 6' high. Also a scorecard holder could be added, probably $15 more for that. No big deal there.

I've seen the others, priced them and was aghast at the amount of money asked for them. Let's face it, it's a metal stand with a camera screw adapter, more or less. Even with it being custom, $200 is pretty ballsy, but I guess if you enjoy competition you expect to pay alot for your tools. That's primarily my reason for asking, would it be a good seller to offer this, or would high end shooters turn their nose up at it and go for what "everyone else" is using on the line?

Highpower shooters are always intersted in getting more bang for the buck. If you build a stand that will be equivalent to the Giraud for less, it will sell. It is the top of the line at this time.

BTW, it needs to go lower than 4".

Back