Spotting scope sizes? Angled or straight?

bigarm

Not getting many answers on brands of spotting scopes, so let's try another question. I want to use a spotting scope for sighting in rifles between 100 to maybe 300 yards and for hunting both large game, predators and varmints, like prairie dogs. I was looking at 20 x 60 x 80 scopes, but can get a pretty good deal on a Vortex 15 x 45 x 65 angled scope. I also can get the larger in a straight scope, but since I have a bad neck I thought maybe the angled would be better, but I don't know. What do people think?

I've had both & prefer the angled for prone in the dirt shooting, but not for use off a bench because you are too low on a bench to use the angled eyepiece.

Here's my setup on a bench, the scope is separate on a tripod & I have to get up to use it.
ao1o.jpg

The scope is actually a small (4") astronomical scope with an inverting prism & shows .30 cal holes out to about 250 yds.

When I was shopping for a spotting scope, I found this article from Opticsplanet to be very very useful.

In general, past 200 yards the requirements for a spotting scope (and the expense) take a jump.

Vortex spotting scopes review well, and their optics have a good reputation. The 65mm Vortex is good, but probably too small for 300 yards. If the 80mm is also a Vortex, that's your choice. If it's not, then it all depends on the optical quality of the 80mm.

Thanks for the suggestions. Camera land had a great deal on a Vortex Viper 20-60x80 so I bought it. They only had it in straight, though, so I went with the straight. Could have gotten the 15-45x65 in angled, but in the end decided to go big. Only going to do this once and it was $250 off. The smaller one was a good deal also at $150 off.

My straight Redfield 15-60X has been great to me in 40 years of range use.
But, two suggestions, for field/hunting, the angled will probably be much easier to use. As a photographer I regret having to pass up many promising shots because I did not have an angled viewfinder and couldn't get my head and eye down to the level of the camera to see.
Second: The (apparent) quality of any scope can be effectively increased by use of a good tripod. Wind and other factors can make a scope wiggle ruining the image. Even other shooters blast and ground disturbance will affect it.

If you shoot position matches or poppinjg pasture poodles from prone, the angled one's by far much easier to use.

Been really cold and snowy here so only have been able to use the scope in the house, but have used both standing and sitting. So far I like it a lot. I am sure that in certain situations an angled scope would be better, but I can only afford one and think this will work good for the wife and me.

IMHO, straight is usable both at the range and in the field. It is better in the field because it is quicker to get on target with.

The angled can be better at the range. It is usually more ergonomic at the range.

In my opinion- you're right on with the power and objective size. And, I would recommend the angled eye piece WITH a turnable mounting ring. If you ever plan on going to the single pole scope stands like they have at Champions Choice- the angled eye piece and rotating body will be a huge relief to you when you switch positions.

Back