Spotting Scope Size

lvalley

I need a scope for just looking at game at 4-500yds and 100 yd targets. I need some help in narrowing down the field. Here's some options: the Nikon earth/sky 15x45x60 @$280 or the Nikon 20x60x80@$435 or the Kowa 501 20x40x50@$208 or Kowa 611 20x60x60@$425 and finally the Meade ETX-90 fixed@48x90@$400. The Meade looks like a very good optical piece but I don't know anything about scope quality.
Am I limiting myself if I used a fixed eyepiece rather than a zoom? My gut feeling is I would be.

I am pretty sure they can be had for less money. I bet somebody will come along with a source.
I am going to be shopping around for a Kowa 60mm if the tax man leaves me an entertainment fund for this summer.
By all accounts, a good fixed 25 or 27 power eyepiece will be sharper than any variable. But the variable might be useful on game, I don't know.

One bit of experience.

I bought a Simmons spotting scope about six or seven years ago. It was on "special", half off retail.

It is a 20x60 variable. It does okay at 100 yards. On the High Power Rifle course, it works at 200 and 300, mostly. I can't make out the score board on 300 rapid. At 600, even on 60x, it's worthless.

Said all that to say this. Don't go cheap. If you can't afford a good one, wait until you can.

With all that, I've never heard anything bad about Nikon.

Archie raises a good point. It's not about power but of quality. My 15x40 Leupold does a lot better than some other brands that are 60x. It's not unusual for other shooters to ask if they could peer through my scope.

Suggest trying to buy used equipment. I do and have saved bundle. Use Leupolds still carry their warranty (and I'm not ashamed to say about half the Leupolds I own are used).

Yes, I'm stuck between the Wind River, the Nikon 15x45x60 45 deg angle and the Bushnell Trophy 20x60x63 all are right at $250.

So I am going to go with my first choice when I first started, the Nikon

Back