Spotting Scope Recommendation?

BlueOrbit

Inactive
I need a portable spotting scope which will allow me to clearly see .223 holes on paper targets out to 200+ yards. I would like the price to be under $300.

I heard good things about Burris Landmark Spotting Scope 15-45x60mm. It is now available at MidwayUSA for $137.99. Is this a good scope for a good price, which can meet my requirements?

Any other recommendations and input would be greatly appreciated...

Seeing .22 holes beyond 200 yards is very dificult, even using a 27x Kowa or 24x Unertil. You had better try out the scope first.

pwiz

In my not so expert opinion, cheap optics are a false economy. Save up a little bit longer, buy a really good scope, and you'll use it for years.

Blue Orbit, if you want to see the holes, then tape a plastic bag behind the target kinda loosely. Otherwise, forget it. I have a Kowa spotting scope that zooms to 40x, and I still can't see my .223 holes in the black.

Another possibility, have your impact point intentionally in the white, and your aim point on the black. That way, you can see your grouping.

I don't know of any Highpower shooters that can see their holes at 200 and 300 (the AR shooters, that is)...we just rely on the spotter for corrections...on rapids, just hope you doped the wind right and start shootin'. The M14 and Garand guys can stop after the first two and peek into their scope for a quick windage change...AR guys can't.

Several years ago I bought

a Simmons 20x - 60x spotting scope on sale. It was $100 instead of $200.

I cannot read the scores posted on a 300 yard rapid fire target. I can barely make out the spotter at 600 yards on the National Match High Power Rifle course.

I can see 22 holes at 100 yards, haven't tried it at 200.

Said all that to say this:
There ain't no suitable spotting scopes at bargain prices. There's "more or less okay" ones, but you'd be smarter to wait and spend more money.

Back