Spotting/Range scope

davem

I am looking for a spotting scope that I can set on a bench at the range and see 30 caliber bullet holes at a 100 yard target and maybe use for glassing in a hunting situation. Obviously I could just plunk down $1,000 and get a quality item but my question is what is a minimal level spotting scope? Magnification without clarity just results in a big fuzzy image. I've looked at some in stores but I can't really tell how they work outside and at 100 yards.
The primary use is for a target range with a 100 yard distance, for seeing groups fired from a 30-06. Day time use , so... "I THINK" light gathering isn't an issue and field of view not too critical.
If I go to a sporting goods store I get, "ALL our spotting scopes are good and the more you spend the better the product" Guys that just know how to ring up a sale. That doesn't really help.
What I need is, "I use the xyz Boomer with a 20x which costs $300 and I can see the bullet holes at 100 yards. Anything less won't work".
Thanks for any help.

Best bang for the buck for range spotters are the Maksutov-Cassegrain (Mat-Cas) reflectors such as the Celstron C65 Mini-Mak, C90Mak, and C130Mak.

I believe the C90Mak would EASILY see .30 cal holes at 100 yards, even when cloudy:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cel...e&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=celestron+c90&tbm=shop

If you want to see .22/.224 holes at 400, get a C130Mak (5" scope) or similar.

Overall, it's hard to go wrong with the image quality of a C90 Mak for your use. But there's some good refractors in the "under-$200" range which will meet your requirements, too - just not *quite* as clear as a C90, which is also in the "under-$200" camp.

*Note: Refractors (I.e. "standard" type spotting scopes) are better for hunting/field conditions than these reflectors, being more bump-proof / durable. But for just the gun-range, where they don't get bumped much, the Reflectors are great, espec. the good-value Mak-Casses.

**2nd Note: The C130 Mak *requires* a heavy-duty tripod. It's 11 lbs, so make sure you understand that you have to also invest in a tripod with a head that can hold at least 11 or 12 pounds minimum - most do not.

Oh, evidently the C130Mak is discontinued - shame that. Probably got a bad rap from people having bad luck using them on improper tripods. However, there are other makers of Mak-Cass scopes, I believe. Looks like there's an Orion 127mm.

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=870

Oh, so now there's a C70 Mini-Mak...not sure if this is same as C65 with new name and a generous tape measure, or a different model:

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro....5&ei=k2hVU5KbJZWeyAS02oCgCg&ved=0CK4EEKYrMAI

Last edited:
You'd be hard pressed to find a spotting scope that couldn't see .30cal holes at 100 yards.

I used one a couple of weeks ago that was VERY cheap. One of the well-known, low-end optics companies, I can't recall right now. The owner picked it up at a gun show, with case, bi-pod and flip up lens for $69. It was 20-60x.

It could EASILY, I mean no problem whatsoever, pick out .243 holes at 200 yards and .223 holes at 100. (We didn't shoot the .223 at 200) The image was crappy and never quite focused no matter what you did but the holes were plainly obvious.

Last edited:
I picked up a pawn shop special for 50 or 60 bucks a month ago, Bushnell, 18-36x, I forget the rest of the details.
Finally got a chance to use it last weekend, and for a low end spotting scope it gave a good performance at 100 yards, showing both 22 and 30 cal holes. Even at 18x it was easy to find the holes.

I don't get much chance to shoot out past 100 yards, but plan on taking the spotting scope with me on road trips this summer.

Thanks, I appreciate the help. At the range where I shoot no one seems to use spotting scopes so I can't ask and with a lot of shooters you have to wait forever for a cold range to walk down and see the group- a spotting scope is what I need. Big help.

I've used/carried Bushnell's SpaceMaster-II for 34 years now.
`Thrown into the bottom of my range box, it survived 20 years
of military moves and hunting from California to Nevada, New
Mexico, Virginia, Montanna, Alabama, Florida, Colorado and Idaho.

th

Best description: "It's the 30-06 of spotting scopes"

**Not cheap ($300 new) but worth every dime. Check pawn shops
and grab one ASAP for even (much, much) less. It's for a lifetime,
rugged enough for anyhing, and sized so it will go with you everywhere.

Back