Sports Authority stopped selling hunting gear and firearms.

fivepaknh

I went into a Sports Authority yesterday to see if they’ve stocked up for the upcoming hunting season. I was shocked to see they no longer sell firearms or ANY hunting gear. No calls, scents, camo, stands, nothing. I asked an employee what the deal was and they said all the New England stores, and soon maybe all their stores will stop selling firearms and hunting gear. He didn’t know why and seemed to disagree with the decision. Sounds like an attempt at political correctness. Not that they’ll miss it, but they’ll never get my business again.

Heavan forbid a large chain drops low margin, high maintenace product lines in the face of stiff competition...

WildmaybethatsthereasonAlaska

You had to answer with a sarcastic tone, huh? You couldn’t just disagree and respond in a civil manner?
dry.gif

Sarcastic.

I don't think his sarcasm was directed at you.

It seems that the prevailing attitude of this board is that most of us who use it are sick of the large chain sporting good stores, especially when better selection and better prices can be had elsewhere.

Sports Authority is one of many stores (Gart, Dick's, etc.) that is trying to alter it's image to more fit the mainstream crowd and the x-games fans. That means more snowboards and kayaks and less camo.

The fact is that these stores will make much more selling barbecue grills than scent-lok clothing. Besides, I'm more than sure you can find a better selection and better price elsewhere. Sports Authority was never really great anyway.

actually, my sarcasm is directed at the sometimes prevailing attitude that a busness "owes" anything to anybody other than its owners/stockholders.

WildjackbootedcapitalisthtugAlaska

To a certain extent they do owe something to the customers if they want them to keep coming back. If the change was due to a low profit margin, then I understand. If it was due to political correctness then that sucks.

To a certain extent they do owe something to the customers if they want them to keep coming back. If the change was due to a low profit margin, then I understand. If it was due to political correctness then that sucks.

Thems the breaks. If being politically correct improves profit margins or corporate efficiency, more power to them...if it results in a lower bottom line, then they will probably change

Thats why ebays anti firearm policy does not bother me

WildtheslaveringrunningdogoftheexploitersAlaska

The camping, fishing, hunting industry is not growing .The average hunter is in his early 50s. The 'big 3' in the industry [who have only 10% of the market] Bass Pro, Cabelas, Gander Mtn have been putting up new stores .That means they have to take business away from existing business. There is just so far they can go and Gander for one has gone too far and is now in Chapter 11 !!! There are other stores out there ,just find them.

WildAlaska, you're sounding suspiciously like someone who is responsible for a business here. :p So what is the biggest selling rifle and handgun in your shop? (in terms of either units or dollars, just say which, please).

So what is the biggest selling rifle and handgun in your shop?

Hmm depends...let me look here......my system is still being uupdated so I cant give exact num bers for this year...so these are not in any order and dont count sub categories and only reflect new guns

Marlin 45-70s
Colt ARs (I think Ive run through 200+ this year)
Colt 1911s
Colt SAAs
S&W 44s

WildtopsellersAlaska

why you evil corporate bloodsucker! i bet you're sitting there in your corporate chair punching away at your corporate computer getting paid corporate money to find ways to siphon more of our hard earned dollars to line your corporate pockets with!!!

oh wait, i work there too, dont i? one day a week doesnt make me a 'suit' does it?

btw, why dont you tell the rest of the class why you cant sell guns for $5 over cost? shouldnt you be satisfied making enough from the sale of one gun to buy a happy meal with?

$5 over cost...I should just give em away!!!! Without paperwork! To anybody! That would make me Pro Gun, huh....

Wanna talk about the Gun biz? Heres what I go through

First the Auction:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=6889886

And now the email, exact quote with the expletive deleted:

"You guys call yourselves "Wild West Guns"? You should have told the retard city attorney to get bent! I suggest you consider a name change to "Chicken S**t Guns" - at least your card with the broken-in-half gun is appropriate!"

Yep gotta love some customers

WildowellAlaska

hehahahaaa...Sorry Ken but that is just 2 funny...bummer about the HK

I really should save some of the ones that I get...

I have been called

Homophobic...girlfriend is a Bisexual Jew

Racist...see above

Had my life threatened by a PITA type at a gunshow (recently)

Devil Worshipper<~~this one I had coming...yea I gotta strange sense of humor :D

If you are in a group of people at a church function and you decide to do an uncanny impersonation of Pinhead from the Hellraiser movies, you just gotta know it is NOT gonna end well :eek:

Have holsters will travel :D

The Farmington, CT Sports Authority totally remodeled within the past year and reintroduced a firearms dept. after a hiatus of many years. Just because a store employee said something, that doesn't automatically make the New England generalization true, even though it's remotely possible. Their hunting dept. is mostly gone except for shooting accessories, ammo and air guns. :p

Last edited:
Guns Guns Guns in the Northeast

Here's a photo that shows a look up most of one of the long gun aisles at Kittery Trading Post, in Olde New England:
gunfloorshoppers.jpg

They have about 5x that in long guns on display, as well as muy mucho handguns too.

We have new Gandier Mtn's around houston.....and I have to say their firearm selection is pretty big.

IhavetofindsomethingtobuyfromthatguyinAlaska :)

oh wait, i work there too, dont i? one day a week doesnt make me a 'suit' does it?
Nah. It makes you a running dog tool of The Man! Just sucking up so he'll keep paying you those high wages. :p

WildAlaska, I've never run a business but I've had to deal with Idiots With Too Much Time On Their Hands. Back in my pre-IT days I worked in the Vending dept at Pepsi. We had to pull thousands upon thousands of cans off the shelf because somebody was offended by the artwork on a Christmas themed can. I've still got one of those cans on a shelf around here somewhere. "Hey, it looks like Santa's @#$%ing that reindeer from behind!" I kid you not. I need find that can and take pictures of it someday.

Bryan (who really should buy something from WWG, but keeps spending all his money at the gun shop 3 miles from his house ...)

Back