Sporterized Gewehr 98 with Ackley Barrel

2AJMAN

Inactive
Earlier this year, I picked up a sporterized Gewehr 98, that looks to have been custom built in late 50's or early 60's. It is chambered in 270Win, and I noticed it had a PO Ackley barrel. While doing an initial cleaning, I also found the initials PO on the underside of the barrel/chamber. I'm trying to find more information if this was actually a custom build by PO himself. All I can find are a few comments from 11 years ago saying this is how he marked his custom work. The rifle itself appears it was more of a top of line build 60 years ago, with a Fajen stock, Buehler mount and a Weaver scope. Any idea on determing if this was an Ackley custom build or what the value could be? If it is Ackley built, should I leave as is or look to restore it?

Attachments

• 20210720_173933_resize.jpg
    20210720_173933_resize.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 20210720_173957_resize.jpg
    20210720_173957_resize.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 20210720_165715_resize.jpg
    20210720_165715_resize.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 88
i don,t think ackley would have used a action with those pits on it for one of his custom rifles, at least his custom rifles i have seen were in like new condition with out pits. it may be a ackley barrel fitted to that action.

But I bet he would have put a barrel on whatever reasonably suitable action you sent him.

Agree with Amp, restore what? You have a good solid hunting rifle, there is no future in trying to take it back to army surplus.

I have a 98 Mauser with nothing but Danzig stamped on the receiver and the skinniest soda straw barrel I've ever seen. The barrel has P.O. Ackley stamped on it. Full blown pre-war European style stock and double set triggers. It's chambered to the .270 Win. Strange setup for scope mount which is missing. My gunsmith said it wouldn't be cheap fixing it for using current style scope mounts. Sorry, but I don't know how to post pictures.
Paul B.

I'm not an authority on PO Ackley.
I read a comment of his why he mostly hired Women.
Essentially,they can do a fine job of what they are trained to do,but what is often different,the guys usually have a project gun under the bench.
Always looking for an opportunity to work on it,

I think Average Joe could have a milsurp worked over in PO Ackley's shop.
He'd sign his work. I'd rest assured he did good work,but it wasn't necessarily Griffin and Howe.
The customer could show up with his Mauser,which may have had a few pits,and ask the Gunsmith PO Ackley to do a variety of services. I believe Ackley made barrels.too.
Myself? I'd be happy to own a signed PO Ackley rifle. To me,its a piece of history to preserve.

I recognize PO Ackley as part of the "Firearms Hall Of Fame"

I believe he founded the Trinidad Gunsmithing School.

Last edited:
Back