Spike Camp for 350 legend

stagpanther

Mt 2nd spike camp stock from Boyds just arrived. At $99 (plus another 30 or so for metal trigger guard and mag catch which I definitely recommend over the useless included plastic stuff) I think this is a real good value for what you get if you're willing to work on it. They do include a lug already glued into the stock (for a savage axis). Straight up with no reworking I'm sure it shoots acceptably, but probably shoots much better with a good pillar and bedding job. It hits a nice sweet spot of good stiffness and light weight IMO.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3332.jpg
    IMG_3332.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 204
Test fit. This stock was better than usual in fit, seems to have a very good fit to the receiver, I don't see notable movement in the centerline of the barrel when torquing down the screws and I might get away with just putting pillars in. It also has a continuous free-float going all the way to the barrel nut without any contact points; probably a result of the better than usual receiver inletting. However, the stock also has a 'liberal" amount of dings in the finish--they warn you in advance though this one seems to have more than I usually see. Boyd's also has apparently started adhering warning stickers to the finished outside of the stock which naturally use an annoying adhesive which is quite hard to get rid of. sheesh.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3337.jpg
    IMG_3337.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 180
Yeah, I guess what I should have said was it's light weight compared to other Boyds stocks that I have. It's sort of dual purpose woods/bench. Certainly heavier than a traditional walnut hunting sporter style stock.

Back