Spied a S&W 65-5 3 inch .357

Deaf Smith

Has MIM parts and frame mounted firing pin.

$434, tax included.

Yea, need it like a hole in the head but... closed my eyes and put layaway on it.

Timed perfectly and was almost unfired except awful rubber stocks.

Deaf

A 3 inch 65 is a near ideal carry gun. If I am not carrying my 4" 686 or my Beretta 92F I am usually carrying my 3" 65-3. As for grips they are easily found on line from various sources usually at reasonable prices.

Well whenever I have a trip to a store I tend to stop by a pawn shop and sniff around. Last week on a 200 mile trip to Golthwaite Texas I stopped to get gas in this town and noticed a pawn shop right across the street.

Inside they had a S&W 520, blue, 4 inch, fixed sighted N frame, .357 Magnum, with pinned barrel and recessed chambers. The 520 was supposed to be for the NY State police but they failed to buy it. Think of it as a fixed sighed Highway Patrolman.

Well it was for $599. I talked them down to $550, tax included. Yep, see it below. That is why I was short of funds getting this S&W 65.

attachment.php

Deaf

Attachments

• SW520a.jpg
    SW520a.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 1,169
A revolver that I've lusted for for too many years is a Model 66 with a 3" barrel. I've only seen one (at a gun show here in Ohio) but the seller wouldn't budge off a $1,200.00 asking price. I don't want one that badly...

I carried a Model 65 with a 3" barrel for years before my agency transitioned to autos. I really liked the gun and could shoot it well. After I retired, I gave it to my oldest daughter as a Christmas gift. She and her husband still shoot it on occasion and it serves as their home defense handgun the rest of the time.

dgludwig,

I've owned TWO 3 inch 66 revolvers! But over the years I traded them away (yea dumb.. back then the were $300.)

I actually prefer the 2 1/2 66 for carry (I have 3 of 'em as well as one 19-5.)

But I virtually always carry my Glock 43 I got for a fireman for $340. Came with night sights and grip reduction as well as +1 mags that we made by Taran (as was the grip reduction.) Best $340 I've ever spent.

Deaf

I agree that a 3" k-frame .357mag is an outstanding all-arounder. If it's in decent shape, I'd be all over it for $434.

FWIW, I bought my 3" M65 from an LEO friend about 8 years ago for $350, and it's got the smoothest factory trigger I've ever pulled (see video & pic of the ol' coin-on-the-barrel drill).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nES4A0rd1ak

CoinCropped.jpg

A nice 65 3" is tough to beat, I bought my wife a S&W 65LS and she never warmed up to it so now its mine to do with what I want :) now back to that 520 Wow what a find congrats.

Deaf, are those the original grips and if so I'd sure like them for my 520.:D I picked one up six or seven years ago for $360 but it had a real nice set of finger groove target grips on it instead of the originals. I've looked for some replacements but have had no luck.

I also picked up a 3" model 65 around that same time for $360 to keep my 3" model 13 company that I picked up for $275. Ah, the good old days.

Joe,

Yes those dark grips came with it. While they are nice and with a Tyler-T might make a serious combat grip, they are not original S&W made. As a collector pistol the 520 needed original S&W made wood stocks.

What I need to find is a well used N frame square butt to play with (and put those dark stocks on 'em.) Love to find a cheap .41 magnum, say a 58. But finding a cheap one might not be in the cards. I'll just pawn shop and who knows.

Deaf

QUOTE: "...dgludwig,

I've owned TWO 3 inch 66 revolvers! But over the years I traded them away (yea dumb.. back then the were $300.)..."

You know, the more I think about it (the 3" Model 66 I referenced earlier), the more I think it might have been a "Ladysmith". Is that possible or even likely, I wonder.?

Ladysmith's are fixed sighted, 3 inch, shrouded ejector rod, round butt, in .357, and has model 65 stamped inside the crane.

The 3 inch 66 will have adjustable sights and 66 stamped inside the crane.

I've owned both and I still have a S&W 65 ladysmith.

Deaf

QUOTE: "...Ladysmith's are fixed sighted, 3 inch, shrouded ejector rod, round butt, in .357, and has model 65 stamped inside the crane..."

After reading the above while recalling something different, I resorted to doing some research and learned the following: According to The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, second edition, Smith & Wesson produced a limited production of LadySmith Model 66 revolvers, having adjustable rear sights and round butts, packed in "LadySmith" marked soft side carry cases by Bob Allen. This is probably the revolver I remember seeing.

dgludwig,

And adjustable sighted 66 3 incher marked "LadySmith" would fetch a very good price. I mean very good one! Never seen one with adjustable sights.

Deaf

Actually, according to the resource I cited, the Model 66 LadySmith came with a 2.5" barrel. The one I drooled over probably had a 2.5" barrel and I wrongly assumed at the time that it had a 3" one. Still, a very desirable and rare K-frame example.

Back