Spend 150 for Mak, or 350 for CZ75???

mept

I've got the spending bug after my attempts to get an O/U shotgun fell through. Should I keep on saving for a quality SG, or should I limit my spending to one new low or midprice handgun? I feel both have excellant reps and don't mean to compare the to head-to-head. I have a Steyr M40, a feg 22 and a Maadi 9mm (Beretta clone) so something like the Mak or CZ might just fit the bill. I guess ideally I would like to get a mid range powered HG with good accuracy and a better smoother trigger pull in a SA/DA mode. Any thoughts?

Greetings from Los Anchorage mept, in all fairness I gotta say that both calibers are on the weak side in the power and accuracy dept. Old S&Ws and Rugers can be had cheap in .357 to .44 Mag, live a little and step up the big bores! henry

My vote is for the Mak. I recently got a Bulgie Mak and I love it. I can't believe how accurate the gun is, it competes with my other big dollar handguns and not malfunctions. My only complaint is the small front sight. I am thinking of getting a EG one now. I guess I have been bitten by that Mak bug that people keep talking about.

Umm, Mr. Stephan Camp was mentioning an after market slide for the Mak somewhere here although I'm dubious of "custom" parts on the inexpensive Mak platform. Defining accuracy can be subjective so let's move the targets out to 50yds? Is the Mak still accurate? I've seen many $200.00 Ruger/Smiths on the used market that'll do an inch at fifty yards delivering power at a hundred that a Mak hasn't got at the muzzle. henry

Hello, Mr. Bowman! Your point on aftermarket parts is well-taken, but in this case, the "Beast Enterprises" slide is a new commericial Bulgarian slide and the sights are Novaks. Since my Mak is a Bulgarian, I didn't see the slide as aftermarket and Novaks are generally welll thought of. The internal parts for the slide are Mak as well and mine appeared to be brand new. Having said all that, I've sure seen some aftermarket stuff that qualified as junk, but I don't think that the previously mentioned slide is in that catagory. Best to all and Happy Thanksgiving.

I have and really like both guns. If you have the money to spend, I say go with the CZ 75B. The Mak is a nice gun (and a great bargain), but the CZ is more fun to shoot - much better sights and less snappy recoil.

Just my 2 cents,
Gino

Get the CZ now and the Mak shortly thereafter. By this time next year you won't be able to buy anything but a shotgun (for sporting purposes only) so you can worry about it then.

I vote for the Big Bores. In my area I haven't seen a lot of 9X18 ammo. However 9x19 .44 .357 is everywhere. If your worried about being Gored(who isn't) I'd also concern myself with ammo. I think import taxes on cheap import ammo will be the first sigh of being really Gored in the behind. I reload for all my guns,and yes I am stocking up on supplies. I believe the attack on our hobby of shooting is real,but I did nothing for Y2K.

BUY 'EM BOTH. YOU WILL BE SORRY IF YOU DON'T

The two guns are not directly comparible and you need both of them for a complete and healthy lifestyle.
I HAVE SPOKEN. GO FORTH AND SIN NO MORE, A GUN IN EACH HAND.

That's my attitude. Spend $500 and get both of these great guns. Why compromise when life is so short? Besides, maybe the store will make you a special deal for getting two new guns.

Could not agree more with Stephen T and Terry. That is exactly what I did this summer getting a East German Mak with my C&R and trading in my Hi-Point 9mm carbine towards a CZ75B. I had a Russian Mak but the sights went and for the price it would cost for a new slide and sights it was cheaper to get the EG Mak. The Russian Mak was traded in for a Beretta 21A for my wife as an anniversary present. She was very surprised :)

Mept,
How ya doin' bud?
In these uncertain times, it's good to see that someone is thinking about buying guns. My choice is buy the mak. Get it in the 9x18mm. This is the original Soviet (also Chinese ;) ) caliber. You know that if massive civil unrest breaks out, Comrade GOREbachev just might "invite" his buddies in Peking over to help "stablize" our Democacy. Having a caliber that the enemy uses would be mighty helpfull!!!;)

Mak

I personally own two Maks, a Russian And a Bulgie. I have found ammo to be readilly available at all times.Just ordered 500 rounds for around 50 bucks. I have never had a failure to fire with either one. As far as trust, I would and do trust one to protect my life and the lives of my family on numerous occasions as I carry one quite often as a ccw. As to the question of range and moving the target out to 50 yards as proposed in an earlier post,I would reccomend a longgun.If you have 50 yards between you and your target, you have plenty of headstart to get the heck out of there rather than engage in a firefight in the first place.
Just my 02.

Trade in the Maadi and get both.

After you shoot the CZ, you will not feel the need for two full-size 9 mm pistols.

Regards

I have a Baikal Mak and really like it. (got it used in like-new condition for $110!) I want to get an East German or Bulgarian as well. I hear that Century Arms (www.centuryarms.com) has Bulgies on sale for their November special. Get the 9x18, not the .380. My Mak has never malfunctioned. There is a lot of really good Russian ammo available, and I also tried CCI Blazer hollowpoints and Hornady XTP hollowpoints with no malfunctions. Both of those hollowpoints would be very acceptable carry rounds. The Mak fits in a number of small holsters I have for other guns, like they were made for it (I can't imagine anyone actually using that flapped military *thing* that comes with the gun) :)

On close inspection of the Makarov's I think you will find that they are a heck of a gun for the money. Check out http://www.makarov.com for lots of info.

I've also heard good things about CZ, but have no personal experience with them.

Be safe. Enjoy your guns. Support RKBA.

-10CFR

I love my CZ-75B 9mm. It's the best shooting nine I own. Light on recoil, high on accuracy. Best 9 for the money in the marketplace.

The quality of Maks seem to vary too much for my tastes.

By the way, since you're considering a Baikal product (Makarov), you ought to consider the Baikal IZH27 over and under shotgun. I bought a 12 gauge 28 inch barrel one a couple months ago and it shoots comparable to any Ruger Red Label I ever shot... Great gun for under $400.

I love my CZ-75B. Very accurate at handgun ranges, smooth & dependable. I dressed mine up with smooth cocobolo grips from Hogue and now it's a head-turner, all for under $360.

And, I have an EG Mak on order. I can't resist at the current prices - too much gun for too little money!
Have fun, & safe shooting!

I have both and comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges. In my experience both are 100% reliable and very well made, but with different personalities. The Mak is a large pocket pistol with a cartridge less powerful than the 9x19 and because it is blowback is snappy in recoil. The CZ is a full size service pistol with a 15 round mag, more comparable to the Browning Hipower. It is much more pleasent to shoot and makes a better range or house gun.

My first choice is the CZ, but if you can afford it get both.

Back