Spencer Carbine

Eagle423

Inactive
Brand new to the site. While trying to research my carbine I found this site and gained information. So I registered and asking for help

I just purchased a Spencer carbine. Trying to research what I bought and I'm not sure.

It was manufactured in Mass, it has the 6 groves in the barrel, barrel from the tip to the front of the receiver is 20 1/4", overall length of the rifle is 39, it does not have the lock or block in front of the trigger, the inspector initials of the inspector are EAW, the serial number on the receiver and barrel match and it does not have 1865 stamped on the barrel.

I was thinking it was and 1860 but the serial number is 1554. It is my understanding the serial numbers on the 1860 carbines started with 11,000. It is also my understanding the serial number on the 1865 carbines did start with 1.

I'm wondering if I have a transition gun. If possibly once the 1865 was contracted to RI if there were still some produced in Mass with low serial numbers. I'm not sure if I have an 1860 or an 1865. I'm not sure if I have a 56.56 or a 56.50.

Does anyone know what I have or where I can go to further research what I have.

That sounds like an 1865 carbine. The barrels were only 20". Serials did start with 1, and the first 6,457 did not have the Stabler cutoff, so yours would appear to be correct in that respect. I don't know why yours is not marked "M 1865", but that marking was put on by hand stamps, so unless it is worn or rusted off, it is possible that someone just goofed. Or that they got started on the marking late.

The 1865 carbine has a sling bar, and the rear sight goes 5, 6, 7, 8/9. (The 1860 model sights, rifle and carbine, go 5, 6, 7/8.)

EAW is E.A. Williams, Springfield Armory Sub-inspector. He is not listed in my sources as inspecting the Model 1865, but he certainly inspected/accepted the Model 1860 and he could have remained through the changeover. (Inspectors were moved, transferred, retired or died without consulting books that would not be published until a century later.)

Jim

Thanks for the information Jim.

Mine does not have the sling bar and site only goes only thru 8.

Would some of the early guns have been made with leftover parts. The number of rifling in the barrel is 6 not 3 and the stamp on the receiver is Mass not RI?

Back