• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Spell check

littlmak

I downloaded the spell check feature and installed it but it doesn't seem to do anything. I tried to use it by clicking on the icon but it just prompted me to download it again. Is there something else I'm supposed to click on after it's beeen downloaded and installed? I did it twice just to be sure. (download & install)

You've gotten me curious, where is the spell check feature of TFL that you downloaded? I wasn't aware we had one.

Mal, In the reply to thread screen there WASan option in tools which has been removed since this morning.

You guys are going to make littlmak think he was seeing things. :confused:

It's baack! 1950 hours Central time here on 6 March. 1:51 Zulu 7 March 2007. Still wants to do a download from iespell.com

It's the little "ABC with a checkmark" icon

Message is:

iespell is a Spell-Checking tool for Internet Explorer.
If you would like to download iespell, Click OK otherwise Click Cancel.
iespell can be downloaded from: http//www.iespell.com​

The icon is only to download the tool. The website explains how to use it. I believe it adds an option to the "Right Click Menu".

Ok, that's all I know--spell-checkers are something I mess with only VERY rarely.

Ok, I'm a computer idiot. Like I said I dowloaded and installed it but how do I make it work? I tried "right clicking" but didn't see anything that makes a whole lota sense to me.

... a Spell-Checking tool for Internet Explorer
Ah ha! That's why I never saw it, and still don't see it. I am using Firefox and tyme most likely has the script checking for the browser type. If it's IE then the spell check icon is available, if not then it isn't.

Ok, littlmak, I think I've figured it out. After you've downloaded and installed iespell, the next time you click on the Check Spelling button (ABC ck) a request to run an active-x applet will appear near the top of the screen (if the download box appears again, press cancel). Click on the active-x question anywhere except on the X. (Do this before composing a post, it seemed to delete all text in the window.) Now the next time you click on the ABC it should act like a normal spell checker.

If my explanation is incorrect, tyme should come by here and correct me.

"Nope, twasn't me." Interesting, I wonder how long it's been there.

I certainly agree with the go-with-Firefox advice. However, I must admit the latest version of IE (V 7.0) is getting pretty close to actually being a good browser, and it only took MS about 20 years to get to this point! Pretty snappy service, eh?

littlmak - in your defense, the download and installation of iespell and getting to the point that it is a usable function is one of the most complicated software fiascos I've seen in a long while, and I've been using computers since their names ended in "-ac".

Mal H I gave your suggestion a try to no avail. Guess It's back to "Hooked On Phonics" until I can 'finger' it out. But thanks for trying to educate me.

littlmak, If you don't want to use Firefox get yourself a Google Toolbar, it has a spell checking feature as well.

As stated earlier, I'm an idiot when it comes to computers. I can't see the moving parts so the operation of it remains a mystery. I don't know how to "get" a google toolbar. I may already have one and don't know it, or how to access it. ( Heck I haven't figured out how to use the smiley things yet, or how to post a picture )The spell check option in the 'reply to thread' screen looked easy enough, but from what I've read it isn't as easy as I'd hoped. For now I'll rely on my recall of High school grammar and leave it at that. But thanks for trying to help.

Your posts look fine to me, Littlmak. You're more literate without spell check than some are that use it :D .

Still, there is an alternative, if you really feel you need it. Compose your post in a word processor like MS Word, use the processor's spell check, and then copy the text to your clipboard, and paste it into your post. Problem solved! :)

littlmak, you have probably already been told this but what I do is I use Microsoft WORD to construct my post, Spell-check it there, then post it by a copy and paste process it works just fine for me.

Opera

I typically use Opera for THR/TFL traffic.

I use the "aspell" plug-in.

It enables a right-click item "Check Spelling" which will spell-check the currently highlighted word or, if no word is highlighted, will check the entire text box.

Runs clean.

Makes me look smarter than I am.

Back