SPEER vs. PROLOAD

X-KILL

Up until now I have been a Cor-Bon fan. Now in light of recently discovered data i ahve changed my mind. Some of my own experiences actually support that data.

Anyway. I am looking closely at the 165gr Pro load in .40 and comparing that to the Speer produced load of same basic specs. My question centers around slight variances in ft/lbs and velocity but is more a question or reliability and accuracy. The Speer load is a little hotter in the velocity and energy categories with the same bullet weight, however; the Proload may show to be a bit more accurate. I would appreciate anyone with real experience in this giving me some info.

Never begins it, never but once engaged, never surrenders.........Darthmaum.....like your taste in music.....

X-KILL

Both the Speer and ProLoad are excellent choices for defensive ammunition. That said, I personally prefer the ProLoad for the following reasons: ProLoad is slighly lower velocity, yet performs better for penetration. You get more penetration for less recoil. It is also among the most consistent ammunition I have ever used (including handloaded match grade 45 ammo.) Nickel plated brass is a nice touch too.

Call John. Try it out.
www.proload.com

Tim
http://www.streetpro.com
Street Smart Professional Equipment

In .40 S&W I tested Remington GS 165gr, ProLoad 165gr GDHP, and Speer 155gr GD back to back in a pair of USP40s and a Kahr. I couldn't find any 165gr Speer, but I intend to try it soon.

They all had about the same felt recoil - stout, but not bad at all. The Speer was marginally less accurate. The ProLoad may have edged the Remington, but one might need a Ransom Rest to tell, as both were producing 5 round groups of about an inch at 50ft (from a bench rest with the HK). The Speer also had a dull orange muzzle flash, and more blast, probably because of the lighter projectile. Both ProLoad and Remington had virtually no muzzle flash.

I predict the 165gr Speers will have less flash and blast than the 155gr, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they match the accuracy of the other 165's I tested. I suppose I should test some SXT's and Hydra's, but my ammo budget is being stretched to save for a reloading press :).

The GD and GS are my favorite bullets, and I'd feel great with any of these three. What's in my, my brother's, and my wife's pistols? ProLoad.

[This message has been edited by Morgan (edited December 13, 1999).]

I to was a believer in light and fast bullets for the 40 cal. Tried Triton and Corbon, while the Triton was very accurate my views have changed to the 165 gr as the better all around cartridge. I carry the Remmington Golden Sabers and will shortly try the Proload 165gr as well. I have yet to hear one negative thing about this round, and very well priced.

I am still a fan of the lighter and faster bullets for the .40. They have never failed me and I tested them in detail. I didn't find any reason to go with the heavier bullets in this caliber. The 135 grain loads hit plenty hard.
Cor-Bon and Trition are both my loads of choice.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
We, the people, are tired of being taxed, penalized, supervised, harassed,
and subjugated by a federal government which exceeds the powers
enumerated in the U.S. Constitution.

Back