Speedlock Firing pin Spring

cw308

Getting ready for shooting outdoors. When cleaning the bolt body & firing Pin, I noticed the firing pin spring (David Tubb Spring) was hitting the sides of the bolt body, is this normal, the stock Remington spring was streight and was not hitting the sides.

Last edited:
Sounds like the spring is a little too long and snaking some.
If the gun works ok, it's probably ok, though.
Otherwise, it might be the wrong spring.
Just a guess without being able to see it.

Thats what it is doing, Called Speedlock they said it was normal but they changed to a new split spring. Called brownells ordered 2 new Remington springs & 2 cross pins. I guess trying something is OK but I'm going back to the Remington spring, it didn't rub the bolt body & Remington hasn't changed there springs. If it's not broke leave well enough alone.

So-called "speed lock" firing pins are based on the idea that a light firing pin falls faster and thus ignition begins sooner, hopefully before the shooter allows the rifle to wander off target. But (Cliché warning!) there is no such thing as a free lunch. Firing a variety of primers requires a certain firing pin momentum (speed times weight). The light firing pin with the original spring could possibly result in misfires. If you reduce weight, you have to increase speed, so the lighter firing pin requires a heavier spring to ensure ignition. (Of course, the heavier spring also adds weight to the firing pin.) Making the spring heavier, with the other constraints, meant making it longer, so it has to be kinked to get it to fit. So it rubs on the inside of the bolt. And that probably slows the "speed lock" down. Something ends up being circular, here.

How much difference will it make either way? IMHO, not much, at least in a hunting rifle. For a pure match rifle, shooting for a national championship, maybe something, at least in the shooter's mind.

Jim

James hit that one on the head. I use Wolff Speed springs in a few different rifles along with their factory pins, it helped stop cratering with my model 70, and I have one in my Savage 110 only to speed lock time for hunting, and taking off hand shots, I really can't tell the differences in speed although I have notice accuracy changes and that's enough for me to be convinced that they work. Good luck with yours cw308.

Didn't receive the new spring & pin. Removed the speedlock spring,installed the old spring. will see sunday if anything changes. I'm using the original firing pin.

Shot Sunday for the first time this year . Felt like a kid waiting for Christmas to come. Great Day , was good seeing my Range Friends. Well the Rifle shot great with the old Remington spring. And Yes, I cheaned the rifle when finished,20 rounds.

Back