speedloader use

I've heard of two methods of presenting the revolver for reloading, but there are two items that work well.

The first is to hold the revolver as nearly vertical (muzzle up) as possible to allow gravity to assist in removing the spent brass and as nearly vertical (muzzle down) to allow gravity to assist in moving rounds from the speedloader into the chambers.

The other is that rather than pulling the speedloader off and tossing it, just let go of it after it empties and let the frame of the revolver brush it off as you close the cylinder.

The two hand presentation, assuming right hand shooting, is to grasp the cylinder with your left hand from under the revolver placing some combination of your index, middle and ring finger on the right hand side and thumb on the left side. Push the release forward with the right thumb and transfer the revolver to the left had as the cylinder opens, pushing the fingers through the frame to hold the cylinder and revolver and rotating the muzzle to an upward vertical position. Some people then use the left thumb to push the ejector, others make a more positive move by slapping the ejector down with the palm of the right hand.

While maintaining the left hand fingers through the frame and holding the cylinder stable rotate the muzzle down. Use the right hand to drop and activate the speedloader. Release your grip on the speedloader with the right hand, grasp the grip and use your left hand to push the cylinder into place and index. The speedloader with be brushed off the cylinder as it closes and the revolver is brought up to acquire the target.

For left hand shooting just reverse the roles of the two hands and the use of thumb and fingers.

I prefer to use the one hand method to reduce moves. This is the same as the two hand method, but the revolver remains in the right hand and the left hand is used to drop in the speedloader or moonclip. The left index or thumb is used to eject.

Some of the top shooters use the two hand method, though it seems one extra step to me. They still manage to be three times as fast as I am.

Using the two hand method, i.e., holding the revolver vertically in the weak hand and forcefully striking the ejector rod with the strong hand gives a much more positive ejection stroke. This is helpful when using short barreled revolvers or hot .357s. I can't speak about .41s or .44s because I don't shoot them. It also makes sure that you won't end up with a case rim underneath the extractor star. This isn't a common occurence, but if it does happen, many people find it very difficult to clear, so the gun is out of action. However, with moon clips, it seems to me mechanically impossible to happen, but I could be wrong.

Also helpful to get used to indexing the revolver against your body at the same point. This will help you find it if you can't see it in low light.

BTW, the SL Variant speedloaders are the best! I used them at the IDPA Winter Indoor and they worked great. My reloads ran around 4 seconds consistently using a 2.5 inch M66.

i used the two-handed method when i use to carry a revolver as a duty weapon and while competing in PPC. the hardest thing to learn was to just let go of the speedloader after releasing the shells. i tried the other method, maintaining the gun ib the shooting hand but found that my arms, too long and not enough waistline, would bind up during the reload which slowed me down.

as an aside, the 2-hand method is more sure in the dark when you can't see the cylinder holes. you index the cylinder with your left thumb (right handed shooter) and the speedload with your right index finger between two cartridges. index finds thumb withoout looking.

Can't add much to what's been said, other than to practice without looking at the gun or the speedloader and just use the sense of touch. Decades ago, when I shot IPSC, I could reload as fast or faster than the guys with the wondernines. Of course, back then they could have 18 round mags.

Dick

One reason the two handed method is quicker: As you are holding the revolver in your left hand and ejecting the empties with your left thumb, your right hand can be retreiving your next speedloader. By the time you have ejected the empties, the next speedloader is already in your hand and cartridges in place ready to be inserted.

More motions perhaps, but you are shaving time. With enough practice, you can reload a revolver quicker than the average shooter can reload his auto.

Full moon clips are even quicker, as there is no knob to twist or empty speedloader to get in you way.

Back