Speed Safe Knife

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
A guy in Hawaii named Ken Onion has a way nifty design for a knife opening device.
He calls it the Speed Safe and is a feature found on several knives he makes and liscenses to Kershaw for production.

To open it - you push the thumb stud about 1/8th an inch and the speed safe takes over and opens it up the rest of the way. Fast.

This is not a Switch Blade. It opens FASTER than the Switch Blade. It is also LEGAL for some reason... I dont want to know how or why but its legal and I like it...

I got a nifty little version called the "Black Out." Its way cool - and addictive. I may have to order the high end version called a Random Task. (who names these things?)

I took out an old BM Auto Spike that I have and compared the two. The Black Out is faster to deploy... noticably faster. The BO blade has a better shape too - a good curve that can be used in any situation... The spike is - well - its just a pointy spike...

I know this isnt a knife forum - but... uh... Hey - they sell knives at the Gun Shows, right? And There is a couple things you need to get when you buy a gun - 1. A good holster. 2 A carry knife that goes with it...

I just to get a gun to go with this knife!

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

[This message has been edited by George Hill (edited October 13, 1999).]

Be sure to try the search engine. I recall the Speed Safe being mentioned more than once.

So many goodies, so little money. :)

Here is the URL showing this knife:
http://st5.yahoo.com/kershaw/k1550.html

I would recomend the Ricochet or Random Task... The other ones are made with plastic handles. The higher end versions have polished G-10 handles that really rock.

But I still like my Black Out.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

I have a Random Task and carry it every day. This is one of the finest factory knives that I have ever owned, and the Speed Safe action really is faster than an auto knife. Also, the designer, Ken Onion is a regular over at Bladeforums.com I'm sure he would be more than happy to answer any questions.

[This message has been edited by JUNG1999 (edited October 17, 1999).]

Hi:

I think Ken Onion will known as one of the great knife makers of this era.

His design ability is only surpassed by his mechanical / technical ability.

The speed safe mechanism works.

Get a Kershaw designed speed safe knife. You wont be sorry.

Ken is a custom maker working out of his home. Your chances of getting one of his customs are pretty low unless you find a dealer who happens to have one. He has a several year back log for customs. Who knows though, give him a call he might make one for you.

At the custom shows, his knives go fast. They cost from $450 and up.

He is the designer for Kershaw and they can't build them fast enough.

The guy is on it. BIG TIME.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Big Dave (edited October 24, 1999).]

Dave - you may want to edit your post - Ken told me he is keeping his page low profile. Yeah - I got bit and am ording the BOA 4th from the top on that page. :) The 4th picture from the top - the one thats all alone... Its a little spendy.

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Back