Speed Reloads for Single Action

Rezdog

Can anyone enlighten me on the proper technique for "speed" reloading for single action revolvers? I seem to have one too few hands for the job.

With polished chambers and light loads, one can often hold the muzzle high, open the gate, turn the cylinder and all the empties will fall out, then tilt the muzzle down and stuff it on the next rotation. I have seen this done quite rapidly.

Sam...me klutzy, me like double action or break top.

A spare cylinder fit to the gun is probably the fastest reload for SAs that use a spring loaded plunger to retain the cylinder pin. I know I can swap cylinders in my Single Six faster than I could eject the cases and reload it. But then I'm no Bob Munden either (who is?).

Thad Rybka (holster maker) was the one, I think, that came up with a neat speed reload for the Ruger Blackhawk (or Colt SAA too, I suppose) with .45 ACP cylinder: A 1911 magazine. Dump empties, and thumb replacement rounds into the cylinder from the magazine.
It's handling all those $%^&#@( loose rounds that's the problem, mainly.
Belts with loops were the first and earliest attempt to cope with it. A wrist cuff might be quicker for the usual rimmed revolver cartridges.
When do you think you'll NEED a speed reload for a SA? The Apache wars have been over for a long time! :D

If your SA six-gun is chambered for rimmed cartridges rather than .45 ACP or a 9 mmP, here is an alternative to using magazines.

Get a piece for rigid metal or plastic tubing into which your cartridges will slide freely. Crimp or cap one end of the pipe. Cut the pipe to hold one or two reloads of you standard ammunition. Load the tube with ammunition with the bullet facing the open end and put it in your hip pocket.

When you shoot your gun dry, knock out the empties and then remove the tube from your pocket and pour the cartridges into the chambers as you slowly rotate the cylinder. An advantage of using a loading tube that holds only one reload is that you can drop the tube when you finish reloading and not have to waste time pocketing the tube.

Doc Hudson

Thell Reed, (not as well known these days as Munden) is lightning fast on reloads. He holds the gun in his left hand, operates the ejector with his index finger, rotates the cylinder with his thumb, and pulls reloads out of the cartridge loops with his right hand. He empties the chamber and reloads it before doing the next chamber. Most people empty the cylinder, and then reload all of them. He was about the first to do speed work with LIVE ammo, back in the 60's.

Hi, difariswheel,

I will endorse the Thell Reed technique, as I have used it and it works. But then, as noted above, I have never really needed to "speed load" a SAA, except for the time Geronimo and his followers attacked the wagon train.

Jim

Now you know why so many people in the old west carried two revolvers. Reaching for a second gun was (and is) faster than trying to reload.

Interesting question. I'm getting old and set in my ways. It's good to see what the rest of the world thinks.

My single-action handguns are all plinkers, but I always assumed that the best method using two hands was eject one and load one to get some firepower as soon as possible. I guess the question I need to answer is how many chambers can I fill in the time it takes me to empty the cylinder and load the first one.

John

Thanks for the wonderful feedback. Now I've got some ideas to play with. I'm not so sure the Indian wars are over; as a bellagonna (white man) residing on the Navajo Rez, I'm surrounded. As far as fast reloads go, I'm reminded of the one-armed deputy in the movie "Unforgiven" who carried three guns because he didn't want to get shot for lack of shooting back! Looks like the ultimate cure is to carry two or more revolvers; NY reloads.

I'm from Missouri where during the civil war we had the Missouri Border Ruffians, and the Missouri Bushwackers. These yahoos (not as in Yahoo on the web, but pronounced with the long 'a' as in ape), carried 4 to 6 revolvers. See the movie "The Outlaw Josie Wales". These people invented pistol fighting, and supplied outlaws to Texas and the west for the next 30 years.

how does it go - load one, skip one, load four

is that how it went???

would put an empty chamber under the hammer.

and what about wearing your belt with the buckle on the back so the cartridge loops ran all across the front of your belt

anyone shoot SASS?? whats the lowdown??

Don't tell anyone, as the lawyers might attack, but the old-timers didn't buy that "empty chamber" business. They loaded six and dropped the hammer between chambers, just like on the old percussion Colts (safety pins) or Remingtons (notches). The old hammers had a sharper firing pin than most modern guns and would stay put even with .45 Colt cases.

Jim

Back