Speaking of Silencers, Why Hasn't Anyone Come Up With This???

Skans

My question is why hasn't anyone come with with a device for a semi-auto pistol or semi-auto rifle to lock the action so that it can't cycle? This would reduce the mechanical noise to nothing if you intend to use a silencer. Also, you could then just manually cycle the gun, not worrying about "jams".

Or, maybe someone has come up with this, but I'm just unaware of it?

MODERATORS: I carefully thought about where to post my inquiry. I thought semi-auto pistols, but it pertains to semi-auto rifles as well. I thought NFA, but I'm not really asking about an NFA device - as locking the action (as far as I know) is not regulated by the NFA. So, I opted to post this in General Discussion.

well seeing that actions work differently, it would be all but impossible to make a "universel" device to do that.

but for the ar platform the adjustable gas block serves.
for a few blow back configurations there is already a bolt lock, and some others can easily be adapted to do so...(marlin glenfield 22 comes to mind)

with the glenfield the bolt handle would lock the bolt open via a hole in the reciever at the back of the stroke, i drilled one at the front of the stroke to match it and viola.

but the point is; while it is a good idea, implimenting it broad spectrum would be a stroke of genius. so if you can design it.... patent it.

I haven't seen "a lot of old school silenced pistols" so I really can't say, though I have seen one, a gun made by (or for?) the Viet Cong. It did have a slide lock, and was an assassination weapon.

Any gas operated action can be "locked" if you remove the gas flow.

The US M14 rifle has a screw that turns off the gas flow to the piston. It is used when firing rifle grenades.

My question is why hasn't anyone come with with a device for a semi-auto pistol or semi-auto rifle to lock the action so that it can't cycle?

Probably because we have revolvers, bolt actions, lever actions, pump actions, and single shots with various actions that all stay shut when fired, and only open when you manually operate them?

So, there is no demand, and IF you made such a device (and it would almost have to be gun design specific) there is no commercial market, or niche it would fill.

People buy semi autos FOR semi auto operation. While they are legal in most places under state and Federal law, silencers are simply not a practical (Or desired) option for many people.

From a mechanical design point of view, what you're thinking of would need to attach to the gun, best would be if it didn't require permanent modification to the gun, prevent opening of the action unless manually done, and at the same time, allow manual operation as rapidly as desired.
And not interfere with any of the gun's other attributes (size, weight, etc).

Tough chore, I would think. Good Luck!!

Skans My question is why hasn't anyone come with with a device for a semi-auto pistol or semi-auto rifle to lock the action so that it can't cycle? This would reduce the mechanical noise to nothing if you intend to use a silencer. Also, you could then just manually cycle the gun, not worrying about "jams".

Or, maybe someone has come up with this, but I'm just unaware of it?

Smith & Wesson's Model 39 'Hush Puppy'
hushpuppysar_2_2.jpg

2878kachushi.jpg

Buy one at MOD Armory

close-up-front_med.png

Colosic 10/22 Bolt Lock

There are also companies and gunsmiths that will alter the bolt on a Ruger .22 pistol to keep the bolt closed.

The WWII Welrod has been "updated" by B&T:
STATION-SIX-45_Right.png

STATION SIX 9

Last edited:
Back