Speaking of bobbing it.......

Harrison

Inactive
I had the hammer bobbed on my SP101 a couple of years ago and have had nary a problem with it.

A year ago I bought a Taurus 85 Ultralite and find myself carrying it fairly often in the Texas heat. I would like to bob the hammer on this piece but am a bit hesitant. I would hate to affect the reliability of what, up to now, has been an excellent gun.

Has anyone had any experience bobbing these guns?

Thanks in advance for any information on this topic.

Since Taurus offers the gun w/a bobbed hammer, it shouldn't pose a problem. If ignition reliability suffered any at all (unlikely), a heavier mainspring would cure it.

Taurus makes a Model 85 with a bobbed hammer they refer to as the "Police Model." You might give 'em a call and see if they will sell just the hammer to you in case you ever want to sell it in original condition.
Oops. Just saw Tamara's post. Never mind.

Less mass without the hammer spur. Faster hammer acceleration and greater speed at time of strike due to less mass. Good chance that primer strikes will be more vigorous. The loss of mass is more than offset by the gain in velocity. Net energy gain.

Often......the trick is to remove less mass than the gain in velocity.

Sam.....MV² n all that stuff.

Tam n Roy.........I really am a 14½ year old trapped in an old body.

E=(MV²) ÷ 2 sometimes.

Velocity change makes more difference than Mass change.

Sam.....after a certain age, mass means a lot and velocity got lost.

Thanks for the feedback. I think that I will drop the gun off at my local shop for the bob job. I probably won't try to use the physics explanation on them. :)

For what it's worth....

I've bobbed four or five K-frame Smiths, and one each of J and N.

Never had a misfire due to light strike on primer.

Also, most PPC guns have bobbed hammers AND lightened springs. There are no alibis in PPC shooting, so having rounds go off is important.

Back