spare the belt save the...

zeisloft

Started as a question in the over rated cal post but figured I'd start it anew. What do you have aginst the belt in the belted mags?
~z

Nothing,other than that except for the 300/375 H&Hs its un-necessary and was just a marketing ploy for the un-washed,un-aware, masses.. "Wall now,iffen it ain't got a belt,it cain't be no magum"! All the other "magnums" have enough shoulder to headspace upon with the exception of the H&Hs that headspace on the belt.

Last edited:
I dont think many people do

not too many people have a problem with the belt considering how popular the magnums are nowadays

not too many people have a problem with the belt considering how popular the magnums are nowadays
Never said I had a problem with the belt. It just ain't necessary on most bottleneck cases. The .338 Win. Mag. doesn't need a belt. I could turn the belt off my .338 cases, and they would still function the same.
As far as popularity goes, I would bet money that the .50 BMG (no belt) is more popular than the .460 Weatherby Magnum and a number of other belted magnums. And it shoots flatter at 1000 yards than any of the belted magnums. ;)

Unnecessary-that belt in a magazine fed rifle, especially for a bottle necked case. I suppose its okay for the old expensive double rifles, but nothing a rimmed cartridge could not handle.

I read one time why the belt was necessary. I don't recall, perzackly, but it's obvious the reason no longer applies. However, rifles don't wear out, and the ammo makers keep making ammo for them. Since such as the 7mm RemMag do quite well for their intended purpose, gunmakers keep chambering guns for them--and ammo makers keep making ammo. :D

Sorta like a yeast infection, I guess.

:), Art

They are PITA to reload or more specifically to resize correctly. Belts existed on cartridges such as the .375 H&H because there was no discernable shoulder to headspace the case on.
The belt does nothing to enhance the cartridge's magnumness nor does it contribute to case strength. As one poster noted, a rim would accomplish the same thing.

Back